Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

feel like i have a rock stuck in my chest?

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
User Profile
I feel like i have a rock stuck in my chest almost making it feel like I'm suffocating. At the same time I also feel like trying to concentrate on someting will make it worst and feels like I'm having difficulty swallowing. What is this?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 14th, 2011
Anxiety and Stress Answer A26849
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the rock like feeling on chest and difficulty swallowing. First possibility that needs to be ruled out is any GERD( gastroesophageal reflux disease). Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods .

Take some OTC antacid like Mylanta. You can also take zantac(ranitidine)or prilosec(omeprazole).These will help. Also keep your fluid electrolyte balance optimum by drinking lots of fluids. If the symptoms persist then please get it evaluated from a gastroenterologist and get peptic ulcers ruled out.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Anxiety and Stress , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.