Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acid Reflux Forum

feel absolutely horrible, like my insides are burning

I feel absolutely horrible, like my insides (stomach, lungs, etc) are burning .... and its a bit nauseating too..... IDK What to do... I went to doctor and she gave me some pills but I dont think they are working.....
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 21st, 2014
i need help seriously i dont know what going on
|

replied February 21st, 2014
Extremely eHealthy
Hello,

It sounds as if you have some gastric trouble, perhaps an ulcer or an infection or something that has made your stomach sore and tender so the stomach acid is irritating it and if there is inflammation it is possible gas has built up in your stomach and become trapped. Trapped wind can be extremely painful. Stress worrying about what is wrong can cause this or aggravate it.

You need to relax before it will settle down and you probably won't be able to relax until it eases so it is a sort of vicious cycle. You need pain relief but probably the last thing your stomach needs just now is loads of pain killers thrown at it.

Paracetamol can be obtained in suppository form so you can take some pain relief without risking upsetting your gastric system further, though it could be worth the risk of taking ibuprofen at the same time, which is permissible and could provide benefits of additional pain relief and help to reduce inflammation. Your local pharmacist can advise you about this and also about any over-the-counter medication to reduce gas/gastric tension/acid and so forth. It is important nothing conflicts with your prescribed medication.

Sweets or something with real peppermint oil will help to reduce gastric tension and ease nausea and ginger is also very good for gastric stability. Camomile tea will provide a mild sedative and aid relaxation.

I hope this helps.
Good luck!
|

replied February 22nd, 2014
I am taking omeprazole, also i go running regularly.
|

I really need a good heartburn diet, I googled many of these heartburn/acid reflux diets but many of them are contrary to eachother ....
|

Extremely eHealthy
Running is good but only if it reduces your stress or anxiety level. If it doesn't you should run somewhere else or not run at all and adopt a different activity.
Activity gives the gut a good shaking that I think is good for it and its functions.

As I said you should only take such strong medication if there is a medical need for it that has been diagnosed by a doctor.

Heartburn diets just like any other diet varies because opinions vary and individual needs vary. You need a diet that is sympathetic to your condition to help you manage your symptoms. The successful diet will be something you have designed that fulfils your requirements. It might be based on one of those diets but by the time you have finished fine-tuning it to suit your taste and requirements it will be unique to yourself.

To a great extent it is not what you eat that is as important as how you eat...

None of these things things taken in isolation is going to be the magic formula that is going to make your condition go away but take a wider view and make several small changes and after a few weeks or months you will find a considerable improvement.

Clearly you should be actively avoiding situations (and people) that increase your stress levels.

You should not eat unless your stress level is low so half an hour of solitude, silence and meditation is probably what you need to bring about a suitable frame of mind to consume a meal. Many gastric troubles are caused or aggravated by incorrect eating methods and a bad environment; sitting on a couch instead of an upright chair at a table of a height that forces a person to sit up straight, being distracted while eating by the television, loud or discordant music, reading or computer.
The rule for those with gastric problems is calm quiet contemplative eating, chewing each mouthful thoroughly before swallowing ensuring it is mixed well with copious amounts of saliva. A typical main meal should take no less than twenty minutes to eat and half an hour is preferable with another twenty minutes to half an hour of complete rest afterwards before going back to normal activity.

These things are inconvenient it is true but speaking as someone who used to just throw food down my neck while on the run until I developed acute heartburn and painful tension knots in the stomach, it is better to accept the inconvenience, break a few bad habits and develop new better habits so that after a few years meal times become a pleasant and calming ritual or an oasis of calm and silence to punctuate the days in a noisy and stressful world.

I strongly suggest you develop a fixation about the calm ritual that eating should be three or four times each and every day or sometimes even more often.

Good luck!
|

The doctor didnt do any tests on me I just told her I have heartburn and she prescribed it..... what should I do? Maybe I should just wait a week before I take any more pills?
|

none of it makes any sense because I am running regularly and I am really thin...
|

Extremely eHealthy
Most people who run don't do it just for fitness; they find once the rhythm is established it frees their mind and promotes a reduction of stress and for some it leads to new and constructive ideas.
I repeat; if your stress level is not being reduced by running you should do something else that does reduce your stress level.

Being really thin doesn't really have any great bearing on whether you should be taking your medication, though it does perhaps indicate your calorie intake, eating habits and how you expend your nervous energy could bear a closer scrutiny. Only you can do these things.
If you feel you are too thin then you should take a really close look at those things.

As your medication is prescribed I think you should continue taking it until they are all gone. One or two packs are unlikely to cause the sort of damage I mentioned in the earlier post. If after taking them for a week or two there is no improvement your condition probably isn't acid related but something else that is probably stress-related.

Meanwhile you should take the opportunity to make those changes to eating habits and relaxation so when the pills are finished you might not have to revisit your doctor.

Doctors rarely do any more than the most cursory of examinations at a first appointment and simply give their best guess. If the patient doesn't return on schedule they either guessed right or the condition got better on its own. Patients must expect to be disappointed on the first, second and sometimes the third visit. A doctor's time is valuable so few waste it in detailed examinations when initially their instinct mostly provides equal or better results.

I advise you to resist the temptation to focus on just one aspect as clearly you should be looking at the wider picture of you and how you fit into your lifestyle and environment and changing all the aspects of your lifestyle that aren't conducive to a sense of well-being.

Good luck!
|

I do indeed have an anxiety disorder, and your previous post about how taking Omeprazole can cause me long term harm really scared me, so now I'm thinking I must avoid as much as I can....

So do you think its ok if I just give it a week without the pills to see how it develops?
|

Extremely eHealthy
As you are under the care of your doctor it would be very unwise and unethical for me to do anything but suggest you complete your prescription. If you wish to stop taking them it must be entirely your own decision. You already have my comments that I don't think completing a single prescription will cause you harm and you should give the medication a fair chance to work or not work before you decide to continue or to cease taking them. Certainly I could never condone the use of medication in the medium to long term that is not medically necessary as there is usually an undesirable pay-back.

Whatever decision you make I feel the real solution over the longer term does not depend on medication but on you developing coping techniques for your anxiety and developing better habits that are more suited to who you are.

I repeat; you should focus not on any single aspect but the wider picture of your life.
Sorry but I will be off-line for a while as I must go to work.

Good luck!
|

ok so even if my symptoms are caused by anxiety you think its ok to use this medicine yes? ok... :/ I will give it a try...
|

replied February 23rd, 2014
I still feel like my stomach is burning... :S Idk what to do... im taking the pill but im still burning
|

replied February 23rd, 2014
Extremely eHealthy
Nothing in the affairs of humans is precise as there are so many variables and diagnosing and treating the conditions that affect humans is not a precise science. The doctors do their best but people also must help out by following instructions and being patient for a while before complaining.

With most physical ailments it will take between one week and two weeks of taking a prescribed medication before a complaint is warranted unless there are side effects that make it impossible, difficult or impractical to take the medication.

I note the time elapsed between your first post and your last is only about 24 hours. You didn't say how long you had been taking the medication but I expect it is a lot less than between 7 and 14 days.

I think you should watch the small hand of your clock go around about 20 times from the time you started taking your medication before you go back to your doctor and say it isn't working and only earlier if you feel it is making your condition worse.

You really need to exert all those coping mechanisms you have learned and get your anxiety under control. The gastric system is so sensitive to stress, worrying is certainly going to make your symptoms worse and could be the sole cause of them.

There is nothing to be gained by further discussion here for several days. I have listed a number of areas where changes might improve things for you and you should concentrate on making those changes and giving them a fair trial for something like a month before you either report that they aren't working or that they have improved your digestion and gastric function.

If you wish to feel better you should now go and meditate for an hour facing a blank wall and send your mind off to visit outer space. After you have meditated for an hour have a light meal sitting upright in silence and take no less than 20 minutes to eat it and then do not move for another 20 minutes as I advised previously. Do the same at least once per day for a month before you tell me it hasn't improved your gastric function and pain.
I can advise you no more just now. The solution is entirely in your own hands.

Good luck!
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...