User Profile
I'm a 29 year old female who just had a gastric bypass three weeks ago and have been experiencing bad pain in my upper left abdomen.I am also on methadone maintenance. I went to the ER last night and they did a CT scan and it showed that my intestines were completely full of stool. I am still on a liquid diet (for three weeks now) so the stool in me must be old. They sent me home ( still having extreme pain) and said there was nothing they could do. I'm worried that it might be fecal impaction? I used two suppository laxatives last night and this morning now having diarrhea but its not relieving the pain. I read that with fecal impaction you may get diarrhea that goes around the stool that is stuck in there but it wont get rid of that stool.Do you think this is fecal impaction and if so what should I do next?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 5th, 2010
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A11755
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the pain in upper left abdomen and the mention in the CT abdomen that intestines are full of stool.
The pain in your case might be due to subacute intestinal obstruction as the use of methadone, a synthetic opioid may lead to sphincter spasm and accumulation of stools and reducing the dose of the same may help your cause. But that should be done only in consultation with your doctor as the adverse effects of suddenly reducing methadone maintenance are many. The other possibility that need to be ruled out is that of internal abdominal hernias after gastric bypass surgery which are very common.
You must consult your surgeon for the same as the definitive diagnosis cannot be made online.
Hope this helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.