Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Fear of ghosts can't sleep

Here we go. I am a 14 year old male and this is my story. My family and i went on a holiday to Tasmania and we visited a historical convict site called Port Arthur. Many people were killed at port arthur in the convict days and it is now one of the most haunted sites in Australia. We were taken on a night "ghost tour" round the castle and our guide took us into the most haunted house in Australia, called the parsonage. We were only taken in to the down stairs part of the house, the top was sealed off because of bad things happening up there in the past such as a tourist killed by an unseen force. Only the bottom was accesible. We left the house and continued around the castle grounds and visited an old prison. We were told to walk through it without looking into a cell in fear of what we might see. Ghosts still appear in the cells so i charged through the center walkway and didnt dare look into one of the cells on eather side of me. I made it through and was so relieved, the guide said that in the past, someone looked straight into a cell and saw a ghost staring at her. I DID NOT want to see that at all. After the tour we left and drove back to our holiday house (it was night) and i was so scared. I didnt get much sleep that night. The bad thing is... im still scared now, over 4 years later from that night. Sometimes i sit up straight in bed and look around frantically and scared all night. Sometimes i think i hear footsteps. I try to fall asleep but when i close my eyes i hear a noise and im so scared to open my eyes in fear of what i might see. I sometimes hear voices but im not sure if im imagining it or not. It gets so bad i have to keep the light on all night sometimes. I hate when my parents go out some nights and leave me alone at night. Every noise freaks me out. My door has even shut itself sometimes and i freak out thinking its a ghost, wether or not its the wind, im not sure. I am also terrified of getting sleep paralysis because i watched a tv show called "Is It Real: UFOS" and it says you wake up not being able to move and u may even see green aliens at your bedside staring at you. I really dont want to get that! How should i overcome my fear? In four years of being scared i havent actually seen a ghost yet but it still freaks me out!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 23rd, 2009
Oh yeah and i almost forgot, when i was at Port Arthur i went inside an old cafe that was running many years ago. It was closed after a massacre took place there and 20 people or so were killed in the tiny cafe alone. I stood in what remained of the cafe and felt a heavy sadness and depression coming over me. I wanted to leave so bad i dont think ive ever felt that sad, almost like i was felling the sadness of the tortured souls that were innocently killed there many years ago.
|

User Profile
Supporter
dojo you are so intelligent for your age. You gave Jango some really good advice.

Jango,
I think taking a 10 year old to such a haunted and scary place was probably not the best thing to do. It was obviously very traumatic for you and like dojo said, you need to find something fun and happy to get those images and memories out of your mind. You also have to realize that many of those haunted places are there to make money and there intentions are to scare you into believing that bad things happened there and other tourists have seen ghosts which have also frightened them to death. I bet it was all a hoax to scare you, especially telling you not to look into the cell because a tourist saw a ghost, that was to scare you even more into believing. Closing off the other part of the house to make tourists believe something bad happened upstairs is also a ploy to scare you. It's no different than visiting a haunted house at the carnival. The tour guide that took you through these ghost sites are very convincing (it's their job to scare you) but most of it isn't real and that's what you have to try to convince yourself. The problem was that you were really too young to visit these so called haunted places because young children don't always distinguish real from fiction and are easy to persuade. Adults on the other hand are able to have fun getting scared and be able to move on knowing that it was all for fun. Children can't always do this. If this fear continues I would suggest that you talk to another adult and get some help. Do your parents know that this trip left you so frightened for 4 years? I hope you can find some fun things to enjoy and take your mind off that event. Try playing some relaxing music at night when you're trying to sleep or take a book on CD and put it in your CD player so you can listen to the story until falling asleep. This will put your mind on the story and take it off the fear. Also, no more haunted houses for you! I hope this helps.
|

Extremely eHealthy
JangoFett101
Think of it this way. Everything you've ever heard about ghosts spells out that they are dead people. Maybe they are tortured or lost or angry but they're still just people. You deal with angry lost and tortured people every day in your life and nothing bad happens and ghosts are much less capable than the living of affecting you. If you believe strongly in ghosts, believe in them for what they are, just like you and barely able to affect you. Its really not so frightenning if you realize not every ghost is a dead serial killer or lunatic. Just about all of them would be postmen or doctors or schoolgirls, just people.

As for UFO's there have been dozens of accounts of Alien abduction in the past 50 years (None of them proven) and there have been Hundreds of thousands of people sufferring from very normal sleep paralisys. Just statistically, if you wake and your body won't move for a bit it's much more likely you're having a neurological reaction to fear than being abducted by aliens.

Being young is terrifying but fear is a choice. You can absolutely rise above it if you think rationally and skeptically about the things that trouble you. It is how we all overcome the fears we face every day in life.
|

replied June 6th, 2011
fear when falling asleep
I know exactly what you're talking about and I understand completely. I have the same thing, where I get irrational fears while I'm trying to fall asleep. Things that I would never believe in in real life suddenly seem totally believable in the night. I'm fine if there is someone else in the room but when I'm on my own I sometimes get so scared that I run out of the room because it really feels like there is something in it with me. I also see images of decaying faces and skulls when I'm trying to sleep. I will be picturing someone's face and suddenly it will turn into a skull. I don't think that one particular thing sparked me off, I think that I was always a nervous sleeper but it definately feels like its getting worse, and now that I'm finishing school, I'm worried that I won't be able to move out because I can't sleep on my own. I am trying emdr therapy at the moment, but as I don't have one particular stressful memory to pinpoint, I don't know how effective it will be. You can maybe try that with your memory of the haunted house.
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2011
Try sleeping with a nightlight or with a cross necklace or something? Any item that would make you feel more safe will help. As far as ghosts or aliens being real, I believe that just the fact that the universe is so large and we are only but a mere speck of it stands as evidence that its impossible that we are the only ones out there. its been 4 years and you haven't seen a ghost or have been harmed by one. Keep in mind that ghosts are people who haven't passed onto the other world yet because something is holding them back, such as unfinished business, or maybe they feel a strong connection to a place and simply just dont want to leave. I would always have trouble sleeping so my boyfriend bought me this thing called the Sleep Sheep. Its for babies but it works for me lol Smile I dont know if its 100% on the soothing sounds it plays or just the comfort of having it because he gave it to me. I cant tell you not to be scared because I get scared myself. I'm not a huge christian but it does send some comfort by believing that someone is out there watching over me for my protection. Find out what comforts you the most and stick with it. I hope that helped you somehow Smile
|

replied June 30th, 2011
jangofett101, inorder to get over your fear of ghosts, just think that the ghost who haunts you is really just as human as you and I. i always belived that my house was haunted by people from civil war times because my house was built over a site where skulls and bones were found! I was six when i moved to my house and strange things happend ever since, and now im 15! i just learned that the ghosts inhabiting my house used to be human and i didnt get as scared as i used to. to get to sleep at night, I think of the good thoughts i had during the day amd close my eyes, and if i heard a noise, i just say that it is bob(the ghosts name is bob at my house!) getting something to eat or its bob walking down stairs. see, just as human as you and I!!
I really hoped this helped jangofett101!!!
|

replied February 29th, 2012
how to overcome your fear in death darkness and ghost
to erase all fear, you only need to beleive in god, because god is always on our side he will never leave us alone, and dont recall the bad thing that you see or think because it will scare you more and try to think about god in your mind, or read a book about god or a bible so you will realize that god is always on our side and god will always protects us, and we can overfear our fear like fear of ghost, dark, death and others think of it maybe your very good bestfriend is god and pray always before sleeping. and be good dont do anything that is not good until you realize that to be good is to be close on god Smile
|

User Profile
replied August 21st, 2013
I have exactly the same thing!!! The way I work it, I tuck the duvet under my feet and under my head and in the sides, You may look really weird and you might get laughed at but it works! Ive been scared since I was 9 and Me and my sister went to the park at midnight with her friends, we took lots of pictures and in one of them there was a hand in the corner, a see through hand! it looks like fog, but it was defiantly a ghost, I recently found out my best friends house is haunted too :L
|

replied September 7th, 2013
can anyone help me i am a 12 yr old and scared of ghosts (very obvious) cause when i was some ten or nine a strange thing happened when i was thinking of something (so that i can sleep )i found a light in my hall i thought it was my sister searching for the chocolate i went there and ... i dont remember i just remember seeing something white and red then i found myself on the floor of my room lol when i did further investigations (a talk with my mother) she said she lives in this house fromwhen she was 9 yrs or something and one day (there was a room instead of the hall at that time) when she was in the room something crept beneath her she stood up and found nothing when she lied down she was pushed by something and she didnt fall next to the bed she was at the end of the hall nearly in the kitchen (the hall was where today my room is) from then i kept its name i (as i even heard someone say bob) i kept its name powerfulpotty (lol) sry and when i heard something i thought it was powerfulpotty rushing to the toilet but now i often hear footsteps and im 12 i get scared i think its not powerfulpotty it is the stronger and bad powerfulpotty which threw my mother wht shall i do?????????
|

replied August 16th, 2015
Hi, I feel the same way too! 9 years ago I had a scary experience at my house. I felt something and heard something in 2 occasions. At the time I was paralized and I did not sleep in my room for 8 months until we changed house. But a couple of years later I started college and I slept by myself. I was able to remember my experience and got scared, but I was able to sleep fine without lingering on those thoughts, but this past week (several years later) I have felt so so scared again. I have not been able to sleep at night and I have left the tv on all night. I have this persistent thoughts all night! It worries me because this was 9 years ago and I should be over this by now! I believe that ghosts do not exist, but at the same time I remember what I experienced and I cannot deny that I felt/heard something; sometimes I try to be rational about it and start telling myself that what I felt was only a dream. But I know it was not a dream so fear starts to come over me (I start thinking I am crazy sometimes :S) .I wish I could cheat my mind and believe that what I felt was a dream; it is hard to deal with. Unfortunately I don't have any advice because I have not yet succeeded in overcoming this Sad As someone said in an earlier post, having the TV on helps . Good luck!
|