Medical Questions > Mental Health > ADD and ADHD Forum

FDA, GeneSight, Health Insurance, Ultra Rapid Metabolizer

User Profile
I had GeneSight (pharmacogenic) tests done with my psychiatrist to assess/evaluate how I would metabolize different psychotropic medications.

Out of all the ADHD medicine stimulants, I am an ultra rapid metabolizer and have extra functional alleles of the CYP2D6 gene which means that I am able to metabolize amphetamines and methylphenidate at a much faster speed than what is classified as a "normal metabolizer."

Now that I've said that, I have been struggling to get my insurance on board with taking ADHD stimulant meds beyond the FDA guidelines because the doses I could "potentially" benefit from (depending on my response/tolerability to supratherapeutic doses of ADHD stimulant meds).

Question:

Is there a way I can present my personal Genesight pharmacogenic test results to my health insurance provider as a means to try to get them to allow me to try higher than FDA maximum guideline med doses? My ADHD's severe and I struggle with debilitating ADHD every day of my life

I am getting only around 4.5-5 hours of therapeutic benefit right now from 50 mg of Adderall XR a day. That is not even time covering my symptoms, and I am highly certain that I could benefit from doses higher than 60 mg a day as long as my health insurance would cover it. I just want to know HOW I can go about showing them my GeneSight documents.

My psychiatrist will prescribe whatever dose of stimulants I need as long as it can be taken safely and not cause me intolerable problems. He has given me his word he can do this. Now, I just need to get my health insurance's opinion and I am wondering if there is anything in particular I need to do to get this done with them?

If I don't do this, I am going to suffer every single day of my life and/or be forced to be non-compliant and take ADHD stimulant doses well beyond what I'm prescribed and I DO NOT WANT TO HAVE TO LIVE LIKE THAT.

So please, if you know of what to advise/suggest to me (if anything) that would be greatly appreciated. This has the potential to have a TREMENDOUS impact towards improving my treatment response, so I am willing to do just about anything at this point to get my severe ADHD symptoms under control all while doing so in the safest manner possible.

Thanks for reading this lengthy message. (Please let me know your thoughts, suggestions, ideas, and/or any comments or questions you may have for me in any way!)
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (AD/HD) is a neurobiological disorder that can interfere in a person's daily life. Learn more about ADHD basics here....
Have doctors found an exact cause of ADHD? Do biological factors or genes have anything to do with it? More on causes and risks of ADHD development here....
What are the symptoms of ADHD and when do they first present? We outline the principal characteristics of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder to help you...