User Profile
I have been sick since October with extreme fatigue(sleeping about 18 hours a day), coughing producing phlegm, shortness of breath, pleurisy, low grade fevers off and on, and Laryngitis with new symptoms of a runny, stuffy nose, plugged ears that I can barely hear out of, and a horrible sore throat that tylenol or ibuprofen doesn't touch along with the previous symptoms still. I've been to the doctor several times and been tested for mono, had T4, TSH, CMP, CBC, Throat culture, Chest X-rays, done 3 times over these past months and been on several antibiotics and asthma medications. I am currently on Clarinex D, Singulair, and Nasonex. Please help. I have no idea what this is and neither do the doctors I've seen. Any advice you can give me about what this is, how to treat it, or even what I can do to be more comfortable until a cure is found would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 22nd, 2010
Lungs and Respiratory Disorders Answer A11450
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
Based on your description you seem to be suffering from allergic problems with superadded viral/bacterial infections on and off and with symptoms of exercise induced asthma.
Possibility of infectious mononucleosis is there if fever, lymphadenopathy and sore throat exist as a triad along with signs of pneumonitis, splenic enlargement, hepatitis, fatigue, weight loss etc.
Acute HIV infection can mimic signs similar to those of infectious mononucleosis. Diagnosis of acute infectious mononucleosis should also take into consideration acute cytomegalovirus infection and Toxoplasma gondii infections. These diseases are clinically very similar by their signs and symptoms.
Amoxicillin is not used in mono patients because it leads to rash in such patients. So it is highly unlikely that you had infectious mononucleosis otherwise your doctor should not have prescribed amoxicillin. Leukemia also need to be ruled out in your case
In addition to the medications you are already taking, you can learn yoga and practise it routinely to get rid of allergy and asthma.But yoga shall always be done under supervision.
You must consult your physician for definitive diagnosis as the same cannot be made online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Asthma affects more than 22 million Americans. But what happens during a respiratory asthma attack? Learn the basics about asthma now....
Some people are more likely than other to be diagnosed with asthma. Learn if you are at risk of asthma in this section on risk factors and causes of asthma....
How can you identify the signs and symptoms of asthma or respiratory problems? We list the common asthma symptoms here and discuss asthma problems....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lungs and Respiratory Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.