Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Fast heart rate and palpitations

Must Read
What happens during a heart attack? Get heart attack facts here....
What causes a heart attack? Are women more likely than men to have a heart attack? We review the risk factors and causes of heart attack here....
Can you identify early signs and symptoms of a heart attack? Are women heart attack symptoms different than men? Click here to learn when to seek help....
Hello, I have been experiencing palpitations for around 6 years, I'm 18 years old. I went to my doctor in January and I had blood tests and an ECG, the ECG read Sinus Tachycardia my heart rate was 117. I wasn't having palpitations during this though. I didn't hear anything back from the blood results and the doctor said the ECG was fine. I recently bought a heart rate monitor, which looks like a wrist watch and i kept an eye on it during the day, my heart rate was between 82-131. I experience palpitations around 2-3 times a day. I have fainted twice aswell, when I told my doctor he just nodded and said okay. I don't have a high intake of caffeine, I don't smoke and rarely drink alcohol. What could be causing this? Sometimes I experience pain across my chest but only a dull pain, very rarely sharp. My doctor has left me clueless. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for answers.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 2nd, 2010
Sorry to hear about your problems. I''ve had a similar thing but mine only started approx 3 months ago and tied in with a head cold. Initially I only had palpitations and ECG at doctors just showed high heart rate. Then I got chest pains and dizziness so was sent to hospital, now been in twice both times diagnosed as sinus tachycardia ( heart rate between 109-134 ). All tests normal but I did have a low grade fever so they think it may all be due to a virus. On beta blockers and see cardiologist in two weeks so hope to get some answers then. I''m 34, don''t drink/smoke/no anxiety and not high caffeine intake. I live in UK and have a good doctor.

I think you need to ask to see a cardiologist xx
Did you find this post helpful?