Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Headache and Migraines Forum

family history of stroke, parkinsons, cancer, is it migraine

User Profile
I have been recently diagnosed with having migraines based on daily headaches for the last month(specifically behind my righ eye and left occipital area)and one visual "aura". I'm currently taking a RX similar to Fiorcet and am finding it doesn't help. The headaches are short(sometimes multiple in a day for approximately 30 minutes at a time) and I am not sensitive to light. I fear I have been misdiagnosed and because I have a family history of stroke, parkinsons, and malignant brain tumors I'm especially worried.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 4th, 2012
Headache and Migraines Answer A35682
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Since you have a headache almost daily, what you have is in all probability not a simple migraine but a chronic daily headache (CDH). This can be the primary type—without any cause. One simple reason for daily headaches with nausea is compression of cervical spinal nerves. Another reason is TMJ, especially if the headache starts with chewing. The third reason could be severe acidity with or without GERD. The CDH could also be secondary to trauma, raised intracranial hypertension, high blood pressure, temporal arteritis etc. Hence all these need to be ruled out.

If the headache lasts for less than 4 hours then it could be a chronic cluster headache or a chronic paroxysmal hemicranias. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss these possibilities with your doctor once. You may need some tests for confirmed diagnosis which may include blood tests, MRI etc. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
1/2 million Americans are diagnosed with Parkinsons. Click here for basic information and a definition of Parkinson Disease, a movement disorder of the brain. ...
Do doctors know what causes Parkinson's Disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? More info on risk factors here....
We outline the common symptoms of Parkinsons and list the types of movement disorders that accompany the disease. Plus, know when to seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Headache and Migraines , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.