Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Genetic Disorders Forum

Familial Hypocalciuric Hypercalcemia (FHH)

Hello, i have had high calcium levels for six months. I am soon to be gentically tested for Familial Hypocalciuric Hypercalcemia (FHH). (A condition where you have high calcium by a hereditary fault in your genes)

My question may seem very strange but i after researching i have found nothing and hope someone here may have some answers.

My parents took the news very bad and i overheard them saying that `it will all come out now` and that i might `leave them or maybe even hang myself`. They said they must do everything they can to cover this up.

I know this sounds very very strange, but i know they were not jokin, they did not know they I was there and i really really fear that they are not telling me something.

Something that will come up on a genetics test that i do not know about.

Any ideas what it could be. There is no dangerous genetic disorders that runs in my family, all of my family on both sides have lived to good ages.

I believe it could be something to do with my birth maybe. I am a triplet and my parents were married for ten years before they had children. I believe i may have been born by IVF but i have no evidence on this.

Any advice would be gratefull, really cannot get that conversation out of my head.

thank you
andy
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper nata1
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
Supporter
Do you have any symptoms Andy? Is anything really bothering you outside of this? How is your relationship with your parents? Maybe you could confront them with this.

Please let us know, if you're comfortable with it. We're here to support you.
|

replied March 7th, 2009
hi yeh just told my parents. I am IVF. They were worried that i am more suspectable to genetic disorders (which i am) and so didnt tell me.

Bad news is i may have FHH, and my symptoms may stay with me.

Thanks for your help
andy
|

replied May 1st, 2009
familial hypocalciuric hypercalcemia
it is a generally benign condition. levels of calcium are generally higher than normal but usually not dangerously so due to defective calcium receptor in your system. this disorder is not dangerous. you just have higher calcium levels, somewhat higher PTH levels (hormone that regulates your calcium) it is actually good to find out your diagnosis so you are not taken to surgery unnesesarily to remove your parathyroids.
N
|

replied May 2nd, 2009
just taken the test, have to wait 3 months for the results.
|

replied May 29th, 2009
symptoms
hi andy
i have just been diagnosed with FHH after unnecessary parathyroidectomy 2 years ago failed to result in reduced calcium levels. if FHH had been diagnosed correctly i would not have had to have a parathyroidectomy because this op. in no way fixes FHH. could you please tell me what symptoms of FHH you experience?
sharon
|

replied October 3rd, 2009
I have FHH. My sister is being tested for FHH.

There is nothing wrong with either of us, but we are both happy that we will not have to go through unnecessary surgery.

There is nothing wrong with you!!! I am surprised that no doctor has informed you.
|