Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Falling asleep during day

User Profile
I am a 14 year old girl. I am 5'6 and I think I weigh in the 130s. I'm not sure. Anyway, I have a question about sleeping. I usually sleep 8 or 9 hours interrupted in the nighttime, and I feel very refreshed in the morning. But at around 9 (i get up at 5) I feel very tired and I'm compelled to just sleep. I'm usually in class by then so I end up sleeping in class. After I wake up i feel fine but 15 minutes later I feel tired again, so I go to sleep again. It seems that no matter how much I sleep (and I sleep ALOT) I feel tired. I've tried drinking more caffiene, pinching myself to stay awake. But it doesn't work. I was looking on a website about Hypersomnia but I don't think I have the symptoms. Is this just apart of growing up or something? I really need to know because I don't want to be a hibernating bear for the rest of my life. Thank you for your time.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 11th, 2010
Sleep Disorders Answer A9045
Hello.

It will be important to see how your sleep structure is. You have mentioned that your sleep is interrupted. Try to find out if you have sleep apnea. This can be done by doing the sleep study. With sleep apnea, your sleep is interrupted. As a result, you feel sleepy during the day.

Narcolepsy is another condition you may want to rule out. And check your thyroid hormones. Hypothyroidism may need attention.

Regards

This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sleep Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.