I ask because I have fainted twice before in my life (years ago) and never did it feel like what happened last night. Perhaps it's just different though so I'm not overly concerned yet.

THE EVENT. I'll describe what happened with as much detail that I think might be relevant. So, I was by myself, I was sitting in a chair reading some text on my tablet. I had a small fan heater on the floor in front of me. Suddenly I had a strange feeling come over me...its hard to describe but it was kind of like a weird tingling/very mild electric feeling that increased until I blacked out, accompanied with a feeling of dread. As the feeling hit me I sat back and put the tablet in my lap. I then apparently backed out. When I regained consciousness I was in an immediate state of extreme confusion, disorientation, and panic...and my eyes were involuntarily darting back and forth rapidly (which was quite scary and only added to the feeling of panic). This lasted maybe 20 seconds until it began to fade and after about 1 minute I was more or less back to reality and had calmed somewhat, though still feeling very weird and a bit out of it. Then in a matter of seconds had an intense hot flush with intense sweating (almost dripping of my nose). I got up, walked upstairs while feeling unsteady on my feet, decided to lay in bed, felt a little nauseated, but fell asleep within a couple of minutes. Also, when I regained consciousness (oh and I have no idea how much time I was out for) I was just kind of sprawled out in the chair. I had apparently kicked the heater over. My tablet was on the floor. This tell me I wasn't stationary during the episode whatever it was.

Now, both times I previously fainted I had just stood up after either sitting or lying down for a long time. We've all experienced lightheadedness after getting up too quickly. Well, on two occasions I actually passed out. This time was different however, I had been sitting down for over an hour, yes, but I never tried to get up. It just came over me as I was sitting there.

Also, after those previous fainting episodes, when I regained consciousness I basically was fine immediately. As in as soon as I woke up there were people bent over me saying "omg are you okay?" etc, and I was immediately fine and normal and was like "ummm yeah...what happened. Why am I on the ground? Lol". I felt fine, as if nothing had happened...both physically and mentally (besides a small sore spot on my cheek that I hit on the way down). But when I regained consciousness this time it was complete havoc. I was immediately in a massive state of confusion, felt completely disorientated and panicky, and the worst part was my eyes were darting back and forth quickly and I couldn't seem to stop it. It was kind of scary.

Any info would be much appreciated. I assume I should probably make an appointment to see the local GP?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 26th, 2017
Welcome to e health forum.

Most likely you may have fainted due a vasovagal attack, which commonly occurs in extremely emotional or psychological situations.

People with panic attacks, eating disorders (which can result in low glucose levels) are more likely to have such episodes.

In case, you gained consciousness within minutes of the episode, and did not have any major persisting issues, you need not be worried about it anymore.

But if the loss of consciousness lasted for more than 15 minutes, and you have any form of neurological defecits (seizures, weakness, sensory defects, headache, nausea, vomiting, etc) you should consult with your doctor for a examination, a few tests and proper treatment of the underlying cause.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.