Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

facial spasm (seizure) slurred speech

I am 42 years old. I began about five years ago having what I would describe as a facial spasms or even seizures??? along with slurring of my speech when it would occur. It only lasts a matter of seconds, but as the years have passed has become more frequently now it's several times a week. Anyone ever heard of something like this or have any ideas
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2014
Hello, thank you for your question.
You might have, what is called, hemifacial spasms. You need to have Brain MRI. If nothing is found Botox injections might be helpful (if it bothers you significantly). See a neurologist, better a movement disorders specialist.

Providing Top Neurology Services in the New York area. Excellence in treating headaches, dizziness, and head pain.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied May 5th, 2014
Thank you for your response...I am going to see about a ct scan. Was concerned that it could be something serious and better safe than sorry.
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Neurological Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.