Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

Eyes slightly misaligned after 'minor' TBI

Hi,

Slightly obese male, in good health, 30 years old. Fell off my bicycle 7 days ago (Thursday) and got straight back up. Hurt wrist and shoulder but minor injuries which went away by Saturday. On Sunday I noticed swelling on the right side of my head (side I fell on) and checked my helmet and I must have hit my head when I fell (which I don't remember doing, but I wasn't knocked out). I rested on Monday and then on Monday night I felt terrible (dizzy, nauseous, painful & deep headache).

I went to hospital and did vision tests which were mostly ok. Always had great vision and never, ever get headaches. Was sent for CT Scan and this showed 'no significant damage' and was diagnosed with concussion. I was then referred to a opthologist who dilated my pupils and put drops in my eye and did various tests. I was told that my eyes were 'slightly misaligned' and 'slightly out of sync' due to possible swelling behind eye, but that this should resolve within one week. I go back to her in 5 days.

I've been taking Ibuprofen and Paracetamol but still getting headaches. I'm also really sensitive to bright lights and occasionally getting ringing in my ear. My head is still quite swollen and when I try to read things it takes a while to focus. I have also occasionally (usually when my head is at it's most painful) been slurring my words. I've also been getting mild dizzy spells. I'm a little worried that this might be a permanent thing and that I might need to consider glasses of some sort. Since I got back from hospital I noticed my right eye's outer ring is placed a few millimeters above the left one. Should I be worried...? I've still been attending my work which I need to use computer 6 hours per day minimum and my work is taking longer than usual as Im finding i'm very easily distracted and need a longer time to think about what I'm doing.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 28th, 2013
Just to give a little update. My reading is better now, the only thing that remains is swelling of my head (not noticeable unless you feel the swelling) and I seem to be getting headaches more at night. Very strange.
|

replied May 29th, 2013
Been back to the emergency department today. This was only my 2nd visit since the accident. I didn't realise until now, but my head is actually NOT that swollen (just a little bit), but my head is partially NUMB (probably about 70% numb) on the right hand side (the side I fell on). There is a little bit of numbness in my arm as my handwriting has changed a bit, and a tiny, tiny bit of numbness in my right leg (more my thighs). This is very strange and a bit worrying. Been told this should resolve itself within 2 weeks, but COULD take up to 6 weeks from the accident (so I could have max. 4 weeks to go). It's very annoying I wish I could take something to make the numbness go away. This appears to be why my words are occasionaly slurred as the numbness is affecting the right hand side of my lips/mouth as well. I'm just a little worried that this might be permanent??
|

replied May 30th, 2013
just realising today that the numbness (about 40/50% numbness) is happening in my right hand/arm and a little bit (about 20% numbness) in my right leg and foot. Have I had a stroke???
|

replied May 31st, 2013
Today, experienced what FELT LIKE a mini stroke. My mouth and eye drooped on the LEFT side for approx 30 secs and I felt light headed. Went to casualty and got told I have had a 'post traumatic migraine'. I've never ever had a migraine in my life. What on earth is wrong with me?
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....