I have been having issues with eye contact for a long time. Is this related to depression? Has anybody had this problem and have you found help with antidepressants? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 25th, 2009
Extremely eHealthy
Difficulties with maintaining a proper eye contact, that is an impaired social skill, along with social withdrawal, excessive dependency, social inhibition, puts one at the risk for developing depression.
Depressed people tend to avoid eye contact, seldom smile or laugh, slouch, ask few question, seek reassurance from others and complain.
Inability for proper eye contact can be symptom of social anxiety disorder, too.
Cognitive behavioral therapy should be helpful in your case.

Best wishes!
Marija
|

replied January 10th, 2010
when you say you have been having issues with eye contact can you explain in more details what those struggles and difficulties exactly are???
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
This is due to personality trait. Psychotherapy sessions and psychoeducation are needed to overcome this problem.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vision and Eye Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.