User Profile
hi,i have dark brown eyes,i want chang my eye color to light brown,can i chnge my eye color without lens?i want to do permanently change eye color.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2009
Vision and Eye Disorders Answer A8256
Thank you for your question on ehealthforum.

Color of the eye depends on the color of iris (a colored diaphragm in the eye which makes the pupil). Iris color depends on the density of the pigment cells in its tissue. Color of the eyes also varies with race. Caucasians have light blue color as they have less pigment in their irises. Asians and blacks have dark eyes due to very dense pigment in the irises. The color of the eye helps in reducing the amount of light entering into the eye and prevents a dazzling effect. Human races living in the tropics with very high sun exposure developed dark skin and dark pigmented eyes to prevent damage to the skin and eyes from excessive sun rays during evolution as a protective mechanism. Similarly, humans living in temperate and polar regions developed light colored skin and eyes as they were exposed to fewer amounts of sun rays.

The color of eyes cannot be changed by any medication, procedure or surgery. Temporary change can be done by wearing cosmetic contact lenses of different colors. Iris color changes in certain eye disorders like Fuch's heterochromic cyclitis, which affects only one eye.

Please consult your optician/ophthalmologist for a suitable cosmetic contact lens who will prescribe after excluding any eye pathology which prevents the use of any contact lenses. Thank you.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vision and Eye Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.