Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Extreme skin sensitivity post hernia surgery (Page 1)

I had a double hernia surgery 3 weeks ago (open incision). the skin from the incesions, through my scrotom and at the inside tops of my legs is now extremely sensitive (it hurts even as my clothes touch the skin). Although I can walk, I am still in some pain around the groin area (including my testicles/scrotum) which makes me very slow and get into discomfort very quickly. Is this normal after 3 weeks? Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper GaryBrian
|

replied May 22nd, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
It's still early in your recovery. you will have this feeling a little while, if it gets very bothersome I'd recommend calling your doctor.
For now you can rub the area with your hand or a cloth to help try to bring some sensation back.
I have nerve damage from my hernia repairs and I was told to do this from my physical therapist.
|
Users who thank ^Serenity^ for this post: GaryBrian 

replied June 6th, 2008
I'm in the same boat....
Had my inguinal hernia surgery (right side - open incision - mesh) back on May 21st and I'm still having the skin sensitivity from what looks to be nerve related issues.

I had my follow up appointment with the surgeon this past Tuesday (which was right about the 2-week period after surgery) and he said that there is still some swelling from the surgery and that it might be a 'month or two' before that works itself out and that is what's causing the nerve related sensitivity issues. He seemed pretty confident that once the swelling went down that the nerve issues would go away. For now he said Ibuprofin 2-3 times per day.

It's very uncomfortable to walk as it feels like someone kicked me in the right testicle. Add on to that the sensitivity which seems to be right in that general area and you have a recipe for a very uncomfortable few weeks. I can only go by what the doctor says so I'm REALLY hoping this eventually goes away. No way I can live like this. Sad

If anyone has any similar story of recovery or therapy I would like to hear about it.
|

replied November 29th, 2013
Me too. Extremely sensitive scars, just the tiniest touch hurts! Going into third week post op it's getting a little better. I sure can't wait to be good as new, as my dr. promised I would be...
|

replied June 7th, 2008
Thanks. I had all the same symptoms and was very uncomfortable. Actually it is now 6 weeks since my surgery and I am up and about and the sensitivity has declined significantly as has the pain. Looks like it is just a matter of time. Stick with it - I'm sure you will start to fell better soon.
|

replied June 8th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Please,Please,Please

Keep a close eye on this pain or any future pain. I had major surgery to remove mesh and nerves all related to what was suppose to be a simple hernia operation.

Did you have mesh implanted....if so what kind, brand? Did they tack or suture?
You can get this information off your operative report from the hospital.

Please see the sticky the top of this forum.
PM me if you'd like.
I pray you are not victims of this nightmare.
Best Wishes.
|

replied June 16th, 2008
I'm in the same boat....
Same as for me. Had mesh op on left side inguinal hernia done on 28th may. Have been experiencing severe burning like pain around the area, groin, testicle and left upper leg for a couple of weeks. Painkillers dont seem to help much and i'm really truggling to get around. Was told i could return to work about 10 days after op but no chance of going back yet as still in too much pain. I do wish the NHS would warn of this before the op . I haven't even had a follow up
|

replied June 16th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Re: I'm in the same boat....
jhmr182 wrote:
Same as for me. Had mesh op on left side inguinal hernia done on 28th may. Have been experiencing severe burning like pain around the area, groin, testicle and left upper leg for a couple of weeks. Painkillers dont seem to help much and I'm really struggling to get around. Was told i could return to work about 10 days after op but no chance of going back yet as still in too much pain. I do wish the HS would warn of this before the op . I haven't even had a follow up

Call your surgeon. You are going to have pester him/her until they listen. Even then they may say it's nothing. LISTEN to your body. You know your body better than anyone.
I suffered for almost 2 years with pain until I found someone who listened to me.
I still have pain (I will have some pain for life) as it's only been 2 weeks since I had mesh removed. I was a mess inside. Once the damage id done the only thing is to remove this crap, make repairs and concentrate on healing.

PLEASE call your doctor. Feel free to pm another person,member on here is GDSM he is very helpful, he went through this also. I know if you send him a pm or keep positing here, he will respond to your posts as well.

Don't give up fighting...you need to get the pain under control as well.

We are here for you.
|

replied June 18th, 2008
Have een told i have an infection and given antibiotics----so will wait and see in a week if they work out
|

replied June 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
jhmr182 wrote:
Have een told i have an infection and given antibiotics----so will wait and see in a week if they work out

Where about is the infection?

Is it at the incision site or is it from the mesh or something else?
|

replied June 18th, 2008
Re: I'm in the same boat....
^Serenity^ wrote:
I still have pain (I will have some pain for life) as it's only been 2 weeks since I had mesh removed. I was a mess inside. Once the damage id done the only thing is to remove this crap, make repairs and concentrate on healing.

After they removed the mesh what did they do to fix the hernia?
|

replied February 5th, 2009
Me too! It's hell!
I had an inguinal hernia repaired two weeks ago. The doctor never warned me about the pain that may result from damage to the nerves. I can barely touch the skin around the wound and in the area where my scrotum meets my thigh. I have taken Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Traumeel, you name it. But nothing seems to help. I have spoken to the surgeon who has suggested Vitamin E cream (doesn't inspire confidence!) Please tell me that this goes away!!! I'm about to start a new job and I cannot even wear normal clothing!
|

replied March 8th, 2009
6 weeks
Its been about six weeks for me and its getting better slowly. I feel you guys on the sensitivity issue. I think time in my case was the answer. Its like torture to deal with this because i used to go rock climbing twice a week and road biking the other days. i feel like its taking waaaay to long to heal. my doc told me that i would be back to "normal" in TWO WEEKS... yeah right. i'm working out now but nothing to serious. i can do pull ups finally but i have to be very carefull. the only thing that bothers me now is my skin. i'm noticing that its getting better as the weeks pass. FUN STUFF I TELL YOU!!!
|

replied April 14th, 2009
6-1/2 weeks with radiating pain
Hi, I also had severe skin sensitivity when my incisional hernia was repaired. That pain has decreased some but it's still there. My biggest issue has been the radiating pain throughout my upper body along with a continued stiff upper back and neck. This continues all day with no relief. I've recently started researching hernia mesh complications and nerve entrapment/damage resulting from this type of surgery. I have my follow-up appointment tomorrow and I'll update again afterwards.
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2009
Yeah 2 weeks is crazy...I am 4 weeks post-op and still having trouble getting around. I walk like a penguin, have to sleep on my back all the time and cannot sit longer than 5 minutes! I had a very large incisional hernia and had a tubal ligation just 6 weeks prior, so my body is probably just worn out..but it is so difficult to be paitent. I thought I was crazy when my tummy was super sensitive to touch and clothes, like now what??
|

replied April 21st, 2009
Had an open Mesh Hernia repair almost a month ago....things were doing great after about 2-1/2 weeks and i went back to work after the 3rd week....now all of a sudden i am experiencing a burning type pain around the incision area...i figured it was just irritated from working(i am a car detailer) so i gave it a few days off to rest and its still the same....gotta call the doc today and see whats up....

BTW i was told i would be up and about in a day or two and i would be back at work after a week...YEAH RIGHT...i am now approaching my busy season and i am at about half power still...UUUGGHHHH.....
|

replied August 13th, 2009
hernia pain
I am going through the nightmare, why mesh is an option i have no idea. I am at 10 weeks, still have major tenderness in groin, shooting pain slightly above the hernia and to the side, very sensitive to touch and overall quality of life is in the dumps. I have had a nerve block done and pain came right back, no meds do the trick. I have a feeling as though a credit card was left under my skin. I have had ct scans, untrasounds, and more, what a mess. Getting another surgeons opinion next week. And yes now i have lawyers involved.
|

replied September 2nd, 2009
I had my second dual inguinal hernia surgery (The second on almost the exact 1-year anniversary of the first.) around 1994. Just last week I began having SEVERE burning pain of the skin surrounding the right side incision. That area had previously been very numb following the surgery. I still have a small patch of skin on my right inside thigh near the groin area that has little or no feeling at all.

Is this the nerve endings that were damaged during the surgery finally coming back to life, or could it be something else? In any event the pain is completely agonizing and comes and goes at random, albeit rubbing of the skin, or tugging on the skin in that area does seem to cause a sudden outbreak of said pain.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? The pain is just horrible, and it doesn't help when you have an energetic 2-year old boy who wants to use Daddy as a jungle gym... Sad
|

replied November 17th, 2009
I was told I have a hernia last week and I have same burning sensations as all these people who have had operations,but no operation here? so whats causing my burning skin around my hernia?
|

replied December 12th, 2009
I am having a similar to experience to Wineaux. My surgery was in 2004 and I am now experiencing a burning sensation around the scar site. In my case I am checking out whether the Kugel mesh was used, as this mesh was found to be defective and there are a number of lawsuits that have been filed regarding its use. My symptoms are bearable and I can still work out, but sitting is problematic. I have another asymptomatic hernia on the other side, but I'm not going to do anything until I have to. Hang in there, (pun intended) everyone.
|

replied January 25th, 2010
I had hernia surgery on January 7, 2010. Happy New Year to me. The next day was horrible. I came close to passing out when I got out of bed, and thought I was going to have to call someone to help me get off the crapper. I sat there way past my legs going numb before I could stand up without passing out. My doctor said that most of his patients are off of pain medication within two days. You have got to be kidding me! I had to triple up on mine just to get through the first week! I swear he almost called me a cry baby at my follow up two weeks after. Now 18 days out, my skin around my testical, my right side scrotum, and even at the base of my penis is sore to the touch. Feels like i have been burned in these areas. I have pain up the right side of my abb too, but that feels like a bruise. My girlfriend would like to know when the skin sensitivity will subside, because it is a real downer for our quality of life. I'm 6', 210lbs, with a 34" waist, so I'm no push over nor am I a cry baby. I feel like I have been lied too about my post opp recovery. Off thier pain meds in one or two days......come on!! I still hurt like sin 18 days later!
|