Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gout Forum

Extreme pain in joint of toe

User Profile
I just went to the doctor this week for excruciating pain in the large joint at the base of my big toe. The pain started as stiffness and over two weeks progressed to the point where I couldn't even bear a sheet to touch it, couldn't walk, and all 5 toes on that foot swelled up! I was sure I must have broken the toe, but could recall no injury.
Doc heard my story, and said gout. Gave me high dose naproxen to take and said it'd be gone in under 48 hours- it was!
Does this sound like gout? When will the next flair happen? Should I see nutritionist? Does it attack other joints or stay with the big toe?
Any experiences you've had, I'm interested in hearing.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2017
Gout Answer A61705
Welcome to e health forum.

Pain and inflammation occur when too much uric acid crystallises and deposits in the joints.

Symptoms of gout include severe pain, redness and swelling in joints, often the big toe. Attacks can come suddenly, often at night. Most affected is the big toe, but lower limb joints (knees and ankles) can also be affected.

Gout usually affects one joint at a time, but if left untreated it can affect many joints. Joint pain that used to resolve in a week to 10 days could become a milder, but constant pain. Eventually, untreated gout can cause other problems. Tophi - painless but disfiguring lumps of crystals formed from uric acid may develop under the skin around joints. The crystals can also form kidney stones.

During an acute attack, anti-inflammatory medication (NSAIDs) can help to relieve pain and shorten the duration of the attack.

Patients with chronic gout can use behavioural modification such as diet, exercise and decreased intake of alcohol to help minimise the frequency of attacks.

Exercise regularly and drink plenty of nonalcoholic beverages, such as water. Avoid alcohol, which raises the level of uric acid in your blood.

The primary dietary goal for gout is to limit your intake of foods with high amounts of purine in them. Ideally, you will have little or no foods that are high in purine and only small amounts of those with moderate amounts of purine.

Foods considered high in purine content include:
1. Fish: seafood and shellfish, including anchovies, sardines, mackerel, scallops, herring, mussels, codfish, trout, and haddock.
2. Meats such as bacon, turkey, veal, venison, liver, beef kidney, brain, and sweetbreads
3. Alcoholic beverages

Additionally, patients with chronic gout are often put on medication to reduce uric acid levels.

Consult with your treating doctor and seek a proper medical opinion.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gout , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.