Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

extra skin next to clitoris

For years now, I've been frustrated, embarrassed and insecure of my sexual self. I've looked at numerous diagrams and pictures of the female sex anatomy, and my clitoris area appears different. I have this excess skin (about 3/4 of an inch long) that hangs down right next to my clitoris, and pretty much covers it -- which has made stimulation of the clitoris difficult, and it gets in the way. It appears that I don't have a clitoral hood either. I think I'm abnormal down there. I've tried talking to my gynecologist about it, but she just avoided the question -- I need to switch to a new one. Does anyone out-there have the same problem?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Water3Sign
Users who thank Water3Sign for this post: GeorgiaBornNbred 

User Profile
replied January 18th, 2010
Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. In Atlas of Human Sex Anatomy by Dr. Robert Latou Dickinson, the normal clitoris is defined as having a crosswise width of 3 to 4 mm. (0.12 - 0.16 inches) and a lengthwise width of 4 to 5 mm (0.16 - 0.20 inches). If it is larger than that clitoromegaly has to be ruled out. It can be due to congenital or acquired causes. I would suggest you to get it evaluated from a gynecologist. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?

replied March 11th, 2012
abnormal vagina
im 14 years old, and i think i have abnormal vagina i have extra skin on or next to my clit and it looks like there a piece of poop hanging from my vagina and it doesn't have any feelings, i t makes me insecure re because my friends have normal vagina's and i'm embrassed to tell my mother because its all her fault. and it likes brown and blue,and i don't know what it is. please help me figure out what this!
Did you find this post helpful?

replied August 2nd, 2012
thats very, abnormal... It can be a sign of a serious disease or infection.... You should probaly tell your mom what is happening..... if its left untreated, it could become worse. Maybe, a family doctor? i hope that works out for you. (PS. Always wipe from front to back, that keeps unwanted odor and bacteria away from the vagina and out of the anus.)
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn the basics about skin health, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options. ...
Learn about risk factors to developing a skin disorder. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for various skin disorders....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Womens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.