Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Explain MRI result, suggestive of septic arthritis.

Recently I've underwent MRI on my lower extremity because my ankle joint have a small swelling.
I'm a teenager and my ankle joint will feel pain when I purpusely forced the joint into a V-Shape. No pain for normal movement.

MRI Result:
Findings : There are slightly increased in fluid collection noted at anterior and posterior aspect of tibiotalar joint and talocalcanear joint as well as superoposterior border of calcaneum.
It is associated with erosion of the anterior cortex of the distal end tibia.

Anteriorinferior tibiofibular, anterior and posterior talofibular ligaments and posterioinferior tibiofibular ligament appear normal.
The deltoid, calcaneofibular and cervical ligaments appear normal.
Peroneous longus and peroneus brevis tendons appear normal.
Flexor digitorum longus, flexor hallucis longus, peroneus brevis and longus tendon, Achilles tendon appear normal. The tibialis anterior, extensor hallucis longus and digitorum longus tendons are normal.
No fracture or dislocation.

IMP: Moderate ankle joint effusion with erosion of the anterior cortex of the distal end tibia, suggestive of septic arthritis.
End of report.

I've also underwent a blood test, which all parameters appear normal.
I've no fever, no depression. In short, I'm felling normal.
May it be a rheumatoid disease? Autoimmunity?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 1st, 2014
Thank you for asking

its too early for calling it septic arthritis. Let a rheumatologist be the judge of that. Many primary rheumatologic disorders (eg, vasculitis, crystalline arthritides), drug-induced arthritis, and reactive arthritis (eg, postinfectious diarrhea syndrome, postmeningococcal and postgonococcal arthritis, arthritis of intrinsic bowel disease present in this pattern.

Gonococcal arthritis and staph infections may also cause it. Let a doctor decide what it is after a complete clinical correlation. Meanwhile physiotherapy, antibiotics and painkillers, joint fluid drainage and rest is advised.

Take care

|

replied November 7th, 2014
Can I also have my MRI results interpreted?

There is subchindrial edema within the tibial plafond particularly anteriorly. Mild marrow edema is seen within the talus. There is inhomogenous signal intensity and thickening of the posterior talofibular ligament. The anterior talofibular ligament is in tact. The deltoid ligament is unremarkable. There is patchy bone marrow edema within the visualized tarsal bones. There is a moderate ankle joint effusion. Increased signal intensity within the tarsal sinus is present
|

replied November 7th, 2014
Can I also have my MRI results interpreted?

There is subchindrial edema within the tibial plafond particularly anteriorly. Mild marrow edema is seen within the talus. There is inhomogenous signal intensity and thickening of the posterior talofibular ligament. The anterior talofibular ligament is in tact. The deltoid ligament is unremarkable. There is patchy bone marrow edema within the visualized tarsal bones. There is a moderate ankle joint effusion. Increased signal intensity within the tarsal sinus is present
|
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.