Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Experiencing mumps more than once

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
is it normal to get mumps more than once? And what causes it to happen and how can I keep this from happening again.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2010
General Q and A Answer A13728
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know whether individuals can experience mumps more than once.

Mumps, also known as endemic parotitis, is a contagious viral infection which is characterized by edema and inflammation of the salivatory glands, visible when the parotic salivatory gland is affected. Individuals experience edema of the salivatory glands, usually unilateral edema, pain and difficulties when eating and increased body temperature. When individuals once experience this disease they can't experience it again, because they have immunity towards this virus.

Given the data that you described, it is not likely that you have experienced mumps more than once. You may consider having a blood count to rule out possible mononucleosis, which is characterized by enlarged lymph nodes, which, if located on the neck may be recognized like an enlarged parotic gland. You may also consider visiting a stomatologist to rule out possible inflammation of the salivatory glands due to blockage of the salivatory canals.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical informations online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.