Hi, It has been sometime since I have considered taking steroids to enhance my performance and progression in power lifting but I have always been slightly hesitant at my current age.

I am 19 years old and should mention that I am well aware of the side effects that are common and uncommon whilst using exogenous hormones, which really isn't my question.

My question here is about testosterone and it's likely specific effects. A cycle I would be considering would be a standard testosterone injection two to three times a week at a moderate 60mg dosage which is from a verified source, whom I trust. My initial concern that has left me hesitant is the probability of worsening acne. From around the age of 17 I have had light ance around my mouth area and chin, which to the average acne sufferer is nothing at all, perhaps 2 or 3 small spots surfacing per week which is something I'm fine about and people barely notice. However, in light of this information what would be the chances of me developing moderate to severe acne from testosterone? I know many people who take AAS who have relatively minimal changes in acne whilst using test, although I know genetic predisposition to acne is the primary determinant here but is there any scientific evidence in support of an increase in severity of acne in people who are already genetically predisposed, despite the severity, such as me?

Although my acne is light, it would be enough to put me off the use of steroids for many years to come knowing with confidence that the severity of my acne would dramatically increase if I chose to go ahead with this cycle.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 14th, 2014
I believe that acne on a cycle would be worse depending on the rate at which your body converts the testosterone to estraidol, so I would hope you have done research on proper cycling and post cycling. A proper cycle uses the basic components of an AI, Test, and HCG, while post cycle uses the HCG and a SERM. I would not suggest steroid use until after the age of 25 when the brain is typically at full development because it reduces the chances of permanent cycle damage. All in all, get properly educated first.
|

User Profile
replied September 10th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Acnes breakout is linked with hormonal changes.
I would suggest you topical benzoyl peroxide or clindamycin in case of mild acnes and topical or oral isotretinion in case of severe acnes. Treatment should be started early as possible to avoid resistance and ice pick scars.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acne and Skin Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.