How should I increase my training to minimise the risk say of a heart attack?

As part of my current exercise programme I jog until my heart rate goes up to 140 bpm then walk till I have recovered and then jog again and so on for about 30 mins.

I am anxious about pushing myself any harder than this. My age is 47 and 140 bpm already representents a shade over 80% of my max heart rate. Applying the 10% rule or even just increasing my training heart rate by 5 beat per minute seems risky to me.

By the way my BMI is 30 and my blood pressure is controlled with 5mg Amlodophine daily. I have lost 20 pounds over the last six month mainly through walking 30 to 60 minutes 4 or 5 times per week and sticking to a daily 2000 Kcal diet. My average morning blood pressure reading reading is about 130/90 at 60 bpm and 3 to 4 hours after taking my tablet at 6am my bp is usually around 125/85 at 70 bpm. My aim is to lose another 30 pounds or so to get my BMI down to 25.

Christopher Anastasi
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 28th, 2009
I am 52, have a BMI of 30, have lost 10 lbs in the past month, and every two days down the gym push my heart rate to maximum + a few. I find it easy to lose weight doing this. After the gym, (200 watts cycle for half an hour) my blood pressure drops about 25 points systolic for a few hours (135 -> 98 today). I felt quite giddy one day, but only then. My doctor knows this and has not advised me to modify this routine. I find moderate exercise simply stimulates my appetite, while heavy exercise, especially in the heat, makes it easier to forgo the calories. My googling has suggested that the key requirement is to loose weight, while fitness measured by cardiac performance is virtually irrelevant to hypertension?

What is this 10 percent rule? When I google for it, I simply get a recommendation for runners not to increase their tasks by more than 10 percent per week.

peter
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....