User Profile
I'm a 42 year old healthy male that had a routine blood test that showed high AST/ALT levels (279/136). My doctor had me have another blood test two days later and the liver enzyme numbers dropped to 109/101. I also had an ultrasound which showed everything was completely normal. Now my doctor wants me to have another blood test in 6 weeks (a hepatitis test). I had been exercising heavily before the first blood test. Could this have elevated my liver levels? I also do not drink heavily and am very trim.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 4th, 2010
Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Answer A11705
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know whether exercising can cause elevation of the liver enzymes.

There are several medical conditions that damage the liver tissue and may cause elevation of the liver enzymes such as viral hepatitis, fatty degeneration of the liver due to consumption of alcohol or diets rich in fats, mononucleosis and other viral infections, etc. In case of viral hepatitis from the hepatitis A-F, the symptoms like fatigue, increased body temperature, abdominal pain, appetite loss, dark (beer-like) urine, and white feces may appear. The difference between all of these types of hepatitis viruses is the time of incubation, the way of transmission and the severity of the clinical presentation. There is one thing that is characteristic for the liver enzymes and that is that their blood level can't decrease fast in just a few days. Also they don't elevate during and after exercising.

Given the data that you described, you experience elevated liver enzymes. You should keep in mind that in case of mononucleosis (which is characterized with fatigue, mialgia, increased body temperature, sore throat and enlarged lymph nodes on the neck) individuals should be treated with antibiotics, and home quarantine and rest is needed to prevent them from additional secondary bacterial infections.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.