Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

ESI Injections and mood swings???

ESI Injections and mood swings?
My bf recently had ESI Injections on his cervical. I noticed a couple days later that he has been having really bad mood swings. He gets very irritated and frustrated very easily. He also did have a minor allergic reaction to an antibiotic. Im really concerned about the mood swings. I haven't known him too long but its like day and night. How long do these side effects last? Please help
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 17th, 2014
Thank you for asking!
Cervical epidural steroid injections both intra laminar or transforaminal are used for upper limbs radicular pains and have shown some promising results. Now the mood swings are not directly from the medicine but it is the stress and psychiatric burdening which this morbid condition needing ESI does. So get him to a psychiatrist and let them help him with management of pain from psychiatric point of view.Pain is a very depressing thing and it needs a lot of effort both physically and psychologically.
take care
|

replied January 13th, 2016
ESI: wrong response
I disagree. The steroids can have an affect on mood and many other areas. Simply blaming it on chronic pain is belittling and just wrong, especially for a physician. As someone who has had chronic pain for 8 years now and have had ESI 5 times in my cervical spine and a few others in muscles and tendons. There are times when the shots do indeed cause mood changes. Other times, I am unaffected. I have found it varies according to the doctor who administers it. I believe it is due to the location of the shot or the type of steroid that is used, other doctors have confirmed this. For somebody who identifies as an MD to suggest nothing other than to get an MD could not only skew the perception and support the patient would get from the person who is writing, it could also cause the patient to miss a critical conversation with the doctor who administered the ESI!
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Back Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.