Medical Questions > Mental Health > Sleep Disorders Forum

Episodes of Full Body Weakness: Cataplexy? Anxiety?

For 7 months now I've been dealing with random episodes of full body weakness. I can feel it coming on with some light headedness, difficulty focusing and some "out of body" feelings. I also may have random body twitches. When I actually "fall out" it seems very similar to the symptoms of cataplexy. I lose control of my body but I don't entirely black out. The body twitches get worse and my eye lids often flicker. Other symptoms are heart racing and head pressure. What's stopping me from believe that it's Cataplexy is that these episodes can last for several hours and are not brought on by strong emotions. Some of the common connections I've made is when I'm tired, after eating, or occasionally when I'm just worked up. While it often happens at night, there's not complete consistency on when they happen or how long they last. For the first several months I could usually sleep it off and feel better in the morning but after a while without severe symptoms, the episodes returned and would last for a couple days.

As time has gone on, anxiety has started to kick in as well. It seems to be connected with separation from the friends who have taken care of me these past 7 months. I will also get worked up when my condition gets in the way of my normal activities, such as driving restrictions or not being about to honor commitments. I'll feel helpless, upset, and almost panicked to where I can't relieve the symptoms myself nor try to sleep it off. I previously had panic attacks during two episodes accompanied by strained breathing, muscle tension, scratching at myself, shaking and the need to be held.

What I'm trying to sort out is why I'm having these episodes and if they are indeed cataplexy and what the connection is to the anxiety I've been feeling.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whats going on? I need all the help I can get.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 16th, 2016
Active User, very eHealthy
See a doctor for a full workup. Only a competent medical professional who examines you and understands you medical history can give you answers.
|

replied May 16th, 2016
I've been to several doctors, had many blood tests, my heart monitored and echoed, and a CT scan of my head. Nothing has been conclusive. I'll be going to my family doctor again soon, I just wanted to have idea of what my next step should be and if anyone else had any experience with it.
|

replied May 17th, 2016
Active User, very eHealthy
You might consider a referral to a medical doctor who specializes in sleep disorders.
|