Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

episodes of depression sweep over me

User Profile
Hello,
I write this at a fairly 'normal' moment but i've already had a couple of moments of despair just this morning. In April I came out of a long term (2 and a half years) abusive relationship and moved back home, the week I did, my little sister died. It was blow after blow but I have tried to remain stronng and dignified throughout and went back to college to complete my exams as usual. I thought I was doing pretty well. Until about 2 weeks ago. Nothing around me changed really so I can't explain it, I just keep having serious episodes of depression sweep over me. When i'm happy i'm fine, but when I become sad & fearful, I break down in tears, find it hard to breathe or function and oftenn think of suicide as a relief. I guess the point of this post is i'm wondering if this is a clinical mental disorder (depression) or just sadness. Psychological or actually physiological? Either way what are my next steps to take & try and calm this? I don't want to feel this way, i'm desperate.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied July 4th, 2011
Depression Answer A24653
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am really glad to help you out. Your concern is regarding the mood swings and other symptoms that you are having. From your symptoms, it seems that you are having depression. It is not only characterized by sad and/or irritable mood but by neurovegetative symptoms like crying spells, body aches, fatigue, difficulty concentrating, low energy or libido, as well as problems with eating, weight, or sleeping.

I would suggest that you consult a psychiatrist and start with antidepressants. Most of them belong to the class of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Other drugs like tricyclic antidepressants and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (MAOIs) are also there, but SSRIs have fewer side effects and are generally well tolerated. I sincerely advice you to follow up with a good psychiatrist and take the medicines prescribed regularly. Cognitive behavior therapy and psychotherapy are also useful. Patience is required because the treatment of depression takes time and sometimes a combination of treatments may be required.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.