User Profile
On the 10th of may something strange happened to me. I was lying in bed and all of a sudden i felt strange. I got out of bed and I had this staggering walk..and my speech was either absent or slurred. I was at home of course...but my surroundings seemed unfamiliar. I was taken to the ER and all the lab work and CT came back normal. i was given medication for the jerking and sent home. Later that week I was hospitalized because I continued to have episodes of slurred speech...weakness in my legs. I had an MRI and it was normal. As of today, i continue to have these symptoms along woth other unexplained symptoms. They include...feeling like I'm floating at times, slurred speesch or unable to speak, shaking of hand or foot or both,strange smell (like something is burning), a chill sensation on the skin, a sudden overwhelmed feeling. Those are all I can point out at this time. Besides the fact that when these attacks are over, I'm really really tired..and have pain or weakness in my legs.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2008
Epilepsy Answer A4241
Current medical status: ct brain-neg, mri-neg, labwork...everything ok..except for a doc explaining something about my neutro? and lympho? ranges were reversed..from what i could understand :(

Your symptoms (sudden occurrences of staggering walk, absent or slurred speech, weakness in legs, shaking of hand and foot, strange smell…) could be due to a kind of epilepsy but no information was given about any EEG-testing to confirm or exclude that. A spinal tab can also be done if multiple sclerosis or a kind of brain inflammation is suspected.

You should consult a neurologist about your condition.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.