Epilepsy or Hypoglycemia?
Epilepsy
Hypoglycemia
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 0
About two months ago I had a grand mal seizure for the first time. When I went to the hospital they gave me a cat scan and everything was fine. I was then scheduled to have an EEG about a week later and the results came back that I had abnormal brain activity in the temporal lobe, however it was very mild. The neurologist explained that brain waves that spiked on the graph meant that you had epilepsy and that mine were not spikes, but were sharp waves. He does not think that I will have another seizure again and if I do, he believes it would be a partial complex seizure. It has now been over two months since the seizure and I have had about five incidents where I felt like I was about to have another seizure. I didnt quite lost consciousness, but I could not focus on anything or hold a conversation. This would normally last fo about a minute or two and only occured when I had not eaten in a while and was hungry. My friend was discussing this with me and told me he thinks I might have hypoglycemia and it possibly could have triggered the seizure. I have researched hypoglycemia and feel that there is a good chance that I have it, however the one complication with this theory is that my blood sugar was tested right after the seizure and my numbers fell within the normal range. This brings me to my question, do you think I have epilepsy or am hypoglycemic?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 9th, 2012
hypolglycemia or epilepsy?
i have been having seizures for about four months now. ive had about 15 seizures. i will have them once a month or twice a month or every other month and i had an eeg done of my brain and it was fine but the neorologist diagnosed me with epilepsy and prescribed me medicine but i eat poorly and eat alot of junk food and candy so my sister told me her boyfriend might be hypoglyceamic and it fit the description of what was happening to me. plus i only had seizues at night so im thinkin i get my blood sugar high during the day and about 2am-5am i would have a seizure. so my mom just bought me a blood sugar kit and im going to test my blood tonight. wish me luck
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....