Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Enzymes. DPP-4, does anyone know about it?

Have recently discovered that I am Hypoglycemic, and have intolerance to 7 foods including Dairy, wheat, yeast, sugar, soya,etc.

Also there are digestive enzymes that can assist in digesting these things if you are intolerant, to use in emergencies or just to eat something normal from a packet once in a while.

The one I am interested in is DPP-4, Has anyone tried it. It is sold as a digestion aid for gluten and casein. But also I found that Diabetics use DPP-4 inhibitors to help them (their use is this area is a hot topic). If the inhibitors help diabetics and, hypoglycemia is the opposite of diabetes - would it help or hinder a hypoglycemic person.

Cant seem to find this info anywhere. Is it safe??

would love to know.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper runner0369
|

replied June 1st, 2014
DPP-4 inhibitors work to lower blood sugar, they stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin so I would NOT take it if you are hypoglycemic, this could make the issue worse.

As far as the food intolerances, there are enzymes to break down the foods but that will only help if you are just lacking enzymes. If you are sensitive to any of the foods it will not help. My mom used to be celiac and also could not eat yeast, sugar, soy, nuts, eggs or dairy. She went to a nutritionist and they put her on a month long diet with a bunch of supplements and now she eats whatever she wants, including wheat which doctors said she could never eat again. She had all lab work redone and she is no longer celiac. Doctors could not believe it. Anyway, I can not remember all the supplements she took, I know there was vitamin A and D, probiotics and glutamine. I am not sure what else but I can ask the nutritionist and get back to you.
|

replied June 2nd, 2014
Thank you, the company that makes it never got back to me.
since this post have dicovered that in addition to the problem is yeast, lactic and other fermented acids, vinegar, fungi etc. I cant eat dairy which is very difficult, or wheat, or meat, or soya or eggs.

Have decided to try L-glutamine not sure about probiotics but would be very interested to know the other supplements she took. It would be wonderful to be able to eat some normal food - sometimes at least.
If you could find out the diet and supplements, I would be grateful - a ray of hope - and maybe even a muffin!?
|

replied June 2nd, 2014
I talked to my nutritionist and she said she posted the protocol on her website because she has so many people asking her.
so for the month you will have to avoid all the foods that give you problems plus the ones she has listed there then after the month is up you can test the foods one at a time. Wait a week or two in between adding foods back so you know which food is bothering you if you start having symptoms. Not sure just the L-glutamine alone will be enough, I think you have to follow the whole protocol at the same time. If there is some reason you can't take probiotics you can email Dr. Melanie and she can suggest a replacement but all the supplements work together during the 30 days. She really emphasized this when my mom did it. Hope it helps, good luck!
|

replied June 20th, 2014
thanks, thats a lot to consider - a barrage of supplements. But thanks for the information.
|