Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Spleen Forum

enlarged spleen 9 mos after mono, pains all over

User Profile
I've had abdominal pains for about 9 months now. At first, they were sharp, so I went to the doctors. They were all over my abdomen (upper left, lower right, lower left back, etc. [sometimes in my upper left chest]) Literally, anywhere over the core of my body. After an ultrasound, it turned out I had an enlarged spleen. From blood tests, they discovered that had mono.

6 months passed, I got another blood test. No mono, but I still had the pains. I got another Ultrasound, and still had an enlarged spleen.
Just a month ago, I got another huge panel of blood tests and they all came back normal. But I still had the pains. I then got a CT scan, and it again showed that everything was normal, except for the fact that I only had an enlarged spleen.

Could my spleen still be recovering from mono? My doctor told me not to be too worried, but it still worries me because I get them everyday. And how could my enlarged spleen (on the left side) account for pains all over my body?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 7th, 2014
Abdominal Pain Answer A47696
Hi, and thanks for your query on eHealth forum!

Apart from enlarged spleen there are other things which should be looked into.

You could be suffering from an inflammatory bowel condition such as Celiac Disease/Ulcerative Colitis/Irritable Bowel Syndrome/ Crohn’s disease. Other than that it could be due to H pylori infection. It can also be food intolerance. Diabetes can cause slowing of gut and can cause bloating and hence get your blood sugar tested.

It can also be due to excess consumption of food rich in sulfites like juices, molasses, yellow dye in ready made food stuffs, and red wine. Sulfites are present in lesser amounts in mashed potatoes made from dry powder, pickles, tinned shrimp, cookies, crackers, and readymade pie dough. Constipation can also cause bloating. Very sedentary lifestyle is another cause.

Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Got pain under your left side ribs? Is your left abdomen swollen or tender to touch? You might be dealing with a problem related to the spleen!...
Certain diseases can cause the spleen to swell to several times its normal size. Learn the signs and symptoms of spleen problems here....
An enlarged spleen is the result of an underlying disorder. What spleen disorders do doctors consider during diagnosis? What tests do they use?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Spleen , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.