Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Mononucleosis Forum

Enlarged spleen and mononucleosis

Must Read
Is mononucleosis bacterial or viral? Does everyone get mono at some time? How does mono spread? Basic facts and definitions about "the kissing disease". ...
Do you know what causes mono? Although children are more at risk than adults,what can you do to avoid getting sick from mono? Review risk factors here....
The symptoms of mono may not manifest for everyone who contracts the Epstein-Barr virus. But when are symptoms serious? And when should you seek medical help?...
User Profile
How long will my spleen stay enlarged when you have Mono? It has been 4 weeks and my 15 year old daughter's spleen is still enlarged but she is feeling fine. Blood work all Back to normal except for liver studies. Thank you

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 2nd, 2010
Mononucleosis Answer A13759
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know how long the spleen stays enlarged when an individual experiences mono.

Monucleosis is a viral infection caused by the Epstain-Barr virus. It causes sudden weakening of the immune system and individuals experience bacterial infection, usually tonsillitis. Mono is characterized by tonsillitis, increased body temperature, fatigue, enlarged lymph nodes, enlarged spleen, and hepatitis. Monucleosis is diagnosed by blood count (increased white blood cells count), and enlarged AST and ALT (enzymes that suggest damage of hepatocytes (liver cells).

According to the data that you described, your daughter experiences mono and an enlarged spleen. Usually the spleen is enlarged until the liver enzymes come back to their normal ranges. Advise your daughter to see an infectologist if she experiences an enlarged spleen when the liver enzymes are in their normal ranges.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please advise your daughter to contact her doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as an infectologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mononucleosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.