Medical Questions > Mens Health > Prostate Forum

Enlarged prostate at 18 years old

I tried to bring this issue up with my doctor when I was 16, but the urologist did not take me seriously, and told me I was too young to have prostate problems.

This issue all started when I was around 13 years old. I started to go to the bathroom a lot. Around 8-10 times a day. I went to a walk-in clinic for other reasons when I was 14, and for some reason they checked my prostate. They told me I had a very large prostate for my age. I did not think much of it, but the sheer frequency I had to urinate started to bother me a lot at around 16 years old. At this point, I have also had a receding hairline and thinning hair for about a year.

At 16, they didn't even check my prostate. They just told me that I'm overthinking my problems, and that I should just ignore the urge to urinate (which occurs nearly every 20 minutes, which is starting to cause loads of problems in my life).

Now I am 18, my hairline has receded and thinned much more, and I still urinate about 15+ times a day. My bladder never empties completely. I am tired and frustrated with this confusingly rare condition, and no doctor will still take me seriously. It seems to be getting worse, as my urine flow is quite weak every time, and I never have a feeling of emptying my bladder. I am worried that it will get worse if I leave it unchecked. I seriously /hate/ this.

It can't be a "temporary bladder condition" because it's been going on for nearly 5 years. I have this idea that the lifestyle choices I made as an adolescent had done strange things to my hormonal levels, causing the enlarged prostate and hairloss (overproduction of DHT). I am pretty sure that my hunch is right, yet since I am not a certified doctor, my hunch is not taken seriously.

I also need to focus very hard to be able to urinate. It usually takes me 5-10 minutes to get a urinary flow going. Most of the time, I sit down. Sometimes, when I am in public, and I am trying to urinate at the urinal, I will focus for about 2 minutes to get the flow going, then someone will come in, my flow will be distracted, and only a few drops will come out, leaving the urge to urinate with me, which I will have to deal with for the next 2 hours until I can get a flow going again. I do not understand how I am supposed to just deal with this.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied November 2nd, 2016
I'm an older guy but I would say that you need to find a urologist that will listen to you. I've gone through the TURP type reaming of the prostate and it's not all that fun. You surly don't want to let it get way out of hand. Most prostate problems are benign at first but you don't want it to get to an advanced stage. As a precaution, if you ever need radical surgery, you should try to bank sperm for future purposes especially at your age.
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 25th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
There are two possibilities.
1)Urethral stricture
2)Irritable urinary tract syndrome
I would suggest you to have RUG and ultrasound abdomen to sort out the underlying problem.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Millions of men experience prostate problems every year. But what defines prostate enlargement and how does the prostate grow as it enlarges?...
What puts a man at risk of having an enlarged prostate? And what causes the prostate to grow in the first place? Answer your questions here....
An enlarged prostate rarely occur before a man is 40. Learn the signs and symptoms BEFORE they occur. And know when to seek help for bothersome symptoms....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Prostate , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.