Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Enlarged node next to windpipe, tight feeling in trachea.

User Profile
I'm a 26 year old female, non smoker, occasional drinker. I lived in a family of heavy smokers for about 5 years and suffered with bulimia for 10 years. The bulimia caused me to develop a hiatus hernia in my esophagus which I had diagnosed back in March.

My problem started with sharp throat pain on the left side when swallowing back in August. I was prescribed antibiotics which did nothing to help so was referred to an ENT who I saw in October. He didn't see anything out of the ordinary but noticed some swelling in one of my neck glands on the left side so referred me to get an MRI scan of my neck. I had this in the same month but didn't hear back about my results until December even though they were ready just 3 days after the scan. This made me think everything must have been fine. I went in to see the ENT about them, who initially said "everything looks fine", but then looked through my papers and said "oh, they've found a 14mm mass next to your windpipe which needs investigating." He was already running 30 minutes late so didn't really say much else to me other than I will receive an appointment for an ultrasound scan. I had a blood test done on 09/12/15 to check my calcium levels and also my thyroid, I'll get the results on 17/12/15. I've also since had my ultrasound scan which found the node above my collarbone area (they also said my thyroid looked normal). They're unsure if this is the same node they found at my MRI as this was a different hospital and they didn't have my previous results. I'm not entirely sure what the point of the ultrasound was since I didn't find out anything new and I'm so scared. The pain in my neck/collarbone is pretty bad now. It hurts to the touch and I get a sharp pain in my head when I bend my neck. I just want some answers but no one has given me any indication of what it could be. I did the stupid thing of Googling my symptoms and it's all pointing to me potentially having lung/chest cancer that has spread to my nodules.

I don't have a fever or anything relating to a cold or infection. I do feel tired a lot but that is likely down to my depression/anxiety. No weight loss.

I'm finding it harder to breath recently and my trachea feels especially tight when breathing in or when I'm about to go to sleep.

Does anyone have any advice or indication of what this could be, please? I'm so scared and don't know what to do/where to go.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 23rd, 2015
Just to update in case any one reads this in future with similar issues;

Unfortunately the ENT hasn't forwarded my results (neither the MRI, ultrasound or blood test results) to my GP so there is nothing more they can do at this time. I'm now having to be patient and wait to hear back from him.

I have a new job starting after Christmas and I'm worried that I'm going to mess it up from worrying about what is possibly wrong with me. It's to a point now where it hurts to breath at night. I don't mean when I'm lying down either. Just when it gets to the end of the day, the area at the bottom of my neck/top of my chest feels tight. I had an E.C.G. which came back as normal though.
|

User Profile
replied December 30th, 2015
Another update. I'm now awaiting an appointment to get the lump removed and biopsied.

Ultrasound Results show my thyroid is fine so I'm not sure what it could be. I've got chest pain and shortness of breath quite regularly now as well.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....