Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Enlarged lymph nodes and salivary glands

User Profile
I have a problem in the throat area since i was about 20yrs , currently 35yrs. At first i thought it was tonsils , saw several doctors and ENT's. The ENT's confirmed that it was not the tonsils and must go home and not worry. This problem persists and occurs on a monthly basis. The left submandibular gland gets swollen and also a discomfort in the throat. It sometimes feels like my throat membrane is teared and when it gets to that stage it also affects my tonsils. I recently made a presentation for 2 hours and when i was finished the throat was soar and felt teared and the gland got swollen to date. I was given a mouthwash , pain killers , antibiotics ( Pencillin) on 13 February 2010 and still today my gland is swollen i.e. 20 March 2010 . I am HIV negative and i am moderate smoker one cigarette in the morning and before i sleep. However the rate does go up when i have drink which is one to twice a month. Kindly please advise , Mopapa

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 22nd, 2010
Gland Disorders Answer A10773
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You would like to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

In the submandibular region there are two types of structures that can be enlarged: lymph nodes and salivary glands. Lymph nodes usually get enlarged if there is an infection, bacterial or viral (combined with secondary bacterial infection). An enlarged salivary gland may appear in case of viral infection (infective parotitis or mumps) or in case of bacterial secondary infection due to blockage of the salivary duct. In both cases with bacterial infection, the condition is treated with antibiotics.

Given the data that you described, you may or may not be experiencing sialadenitis. You may consider having a complete blood count with sedimentation to rule out any possible infections such as mononucleosis. See an ENT specialist or maxilofacial surgeon (surgeon specialized in diseases located on the head and face including the mouth) for further diagnosis.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice about diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.