User Profile
I'm a 33 year old female who has always been petiete or underweight.I have an enlarged adams apple and it is starting to bother me.I was told that if i gained weight , that would fix the problem. it has been ten years and i am at my ideal weight for my height and it still bothers me could it be a thyroid gland problem?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied March 5th, 2011
Gland Disorders Answer A20379
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by your body weight though it has remained ideal for height for the last 10 years. You have also made a mention of the enlarged Adams apple.
Enlarged Adams apple might be due to thyroid swelling which need thorough examination and investigations to rule out thyroid gland disorder. In hypothyroidism, patient usually complaints of weight gain, cold intolerance, constipation, changes in voice etc. whereas in hyperthyroid state, [patients are usually underweight, thin and lean associated with complaints of heat intolerance, fast heart beat etc. The two states can exist in variety of thyroid disorders. In your case, as the weight is ideal for height and you have not mentioned other symptoms, it is difficult to diagnose online for which you must see your personal physician.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What does it mean to have low levels of thyroid hormone in the body? We outline how doctors define hypothyroidism here....
What medical conditions cause hypothyroidism? And what puts you at risk of developing these conditions? More hypothyroid basics here....
When are symptoms of hypothyroidism serious? When should you seek medical help. Click here to learn when doctors recommend you come in for a visit....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gland Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.