Medical Questions > Womens Health > Endometriosis Forum

Endometriosis and pelvic swelling ?

User Profile
I was diagnosed with endometriosis five years ago after undergoing a laparoscopic surgery. I hadn't had any problems associated with endometriosis in some years. Now, however, I've noticed more lower abdominal and pelvic pain, irregular bowel movements and urin, and even had my first period in two years last month. I have even noticed some pelvic swelling especially near my surgery scars. Can the pelvic swelling and surgery scar swelling be due to endometriosis? How might I alleviate some pain associated with the swelling other than oral medication?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 14th, 2009
Endometriosis Answer A6036

The pelvic swelling and surgery scar swelling might be related to inflammation of some of the pelvic structures. Based on the data you reported, endometriosis can not be ruled out either. You might want to visit a gynecologist to locate the possible inflammation.
If inflammation is ruled out, then you can take pain killers or apply heat on the location. Do not apply heat if inflammation is not already ruled out, because you might help it to spread further.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What is endometriosis and where does it occur on a woman's body? We outline the basics of endometriosis here, a condition that can affect millions of women....
Endometriosis can cause infertility...but what are the reasons that a woman might experience this condition? And what puts you at higher risk for developing it?...
Early symptoms of endometriosis can seem normal. But when should you ask your doctor for help? We outline the problem signs and symptoms here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Endometriosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.