Medical Questions > Womens Health > Endometriosis Forum

Endometriosis and hormonal imbalances

Must Read
What is endometriosis and where does it occur on a woman's body? We outline the basics of endometriosis here, a condition that can affect millions of women....
Endometriosis can cause infertility...but what are the reasons that a woman might experience this condition? And what puts you at higher risk for developing it?...
Early symptoms of endometriosis can seem normal. But when should you ask your doctor for help? We outline the problem signs and symptoms here....
User Profile
No one can provide a reasonable explanation for my non-stop bleeding. I do not have cancers, tumors, fibroids or anything of the like. I am not in pain I am just bleeding all the time. Is this a normal reaction to the depo shot and if so how long will it take to work out of my system with revceiving two shots back to back in October and November? Should I get another surgery or a second opinion and can this be harmful to my future bearing of children?

Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank DoctorQuestion for this post: jenamarie2009 

User Profile
replied August 16th, 2009
Endometriosis Answer A7050

According to the information you provided (irregular bleeding for 8 months, endometriosis, no cancer, no fibroids, no tumors, received 2 doses of Depo Provera), it seems likely that you might be experiencing a hormonal imbalance associated with endometriosis. Whether the hormonal imbalance was a pre-existing condition or it was caused by the two shots of Depo Provera cannot be determined for sure. No data was given about the female sex hormone levels in the blood.

Endometriosis is a condition in which the normal inner lining of the uterus is found out of the uterine cavity. This tissue is affected by the sex hormones in the same manner as the uterine mucosa. However, due to its incorrect position it is more susceptible to bleeding.

When there is a hormonal imbalance, hormones might be given in order to try to induce normal hormonal production and a normal menstrual cycle, consequently.
You might want to have a second opinion from another gynecologist about your condition and whether you should take other hormones as therapy. Hormonal laboratory tests are much likely to be needed.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Endometriosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.