Medical Questions > Womens Health > Endometriosis Forum

endo! normal symptoms? could cancer be mistaken with endo?

My gynae diagnosed me with endometriosis after an ultrasound three months back and I have been on birth control pills since then. Apparently, I have an endometrium of 1.2 c.m. on my left ovary, supposedly this is a small one, but I have so much pain that I feel something is wrong...
From what I have been reading on different forums that the endo would be at least 5 c.m. to cause symptoms... I have a severe period pain (but this has been the case since forever Wink ) in addition I have an annoying mild period pain for 3-4 days after my period ends, then 3-4 days of pain at the time of ovulation... sometimes the pain lasts longer. I also became a bit more gassy recently and this morning I found a tiny spot of pink blood.

Are these normal symptoms for a person with endo? I am totally freaking out since my grandmother died of ovarian cancer, is there any chance that cancer is mistaken with endo?

Thanks for your help...
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 1st, 2012
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If you have been diagnosed to have endometriosis and if the symptoms have been worsening, consider visiting your doctor/gynecologist for further evaluation to look for the endometrial implants/endometriosis cysts. Getting them removed by laparoscopy can help with controlling the symptoms. Post-surgery, women have better recovery and long term relief if treatment is combined with regression therapy with use of hormones. Endometriosis symptoms can persist or recur if estrogen production or supplementation is present. Symptoms can also persist if there has been deep retroperitoneal endometriosis (as these places are not easily reachable with conventional laparoscopy). If there has been history of ovarian cancer in family, you should consider getting tumor marker tests done to predict your chances of developing cancer (endometriosis itself does not suggest future risk of developing cancer). Discuss your symptoms with your treating doctor/gynecologist. Consider being in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is endometriosis and where does it occur on a woman's body? We outline the basics of endometriosis here, a condition that can affect millions of women....
Endometriosis can cause infertility...but what are the reasons that a woman might experience this condition? And what puts you at higher risk for developing it?...
Early symptoms of endometriosis can seem normal. But when should you ask your doctor for help? We outline the problem signs and symptoms here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Endometriosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.