I was sort of anorexic for about 8 months, and about 2 months ago I stopped because it was scaring me. I started eating more calorically and working out to gain muscle (but always made sure I was eating more than burned).

My hair is still thinning and I still haven't gotten my period back. How do I know when to stop actively gaining weight and when will my hair start growing back?

Thanks! I just want this to be over...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 13th, 2010
Community Volunteer
I wish I was a doctor and could answer this properly, but I can't....I am just a woman that has known the other side of this coin in life....That being bulimia...If I was to answer your question in my own words I would say when you stop worrying about eating enough...When you enjoy life and eat well...When you are able to take all these thoughts of eating and throw them out the window...When you are able to put yourself on a 2,000 calorie diet or wherever it is a good place to stay a happy weight and your hair will no longer thin...Your period will come back and my dear, it will never be over until you let it be over....Good luck...

Caroline
|

replied April 13th, 2010
Thanks, Caroline. That actually helped me feel a lot better about the recovery process. Smile

I hope that you're doing well after your own struggle, you have very insightful thoughts about these issues and seem like a strong person.

-Katherine
|

User Profile
replied April 14th, 2010
Community Volunteer
Hi Katherine and thank you for your kind words...When you have walked this walk in life you never forget it...It is a part of your past that never goes away...Yes, I defeated it near eight years ago....Yet, there is a part of me like every other person with this disease, that may automatically go into gear...This is when you fight yourself...You must learn to let the good win over the bad...The bad inner voice is telling you to get rid of it...Too many calories...The good voice is telling you to eat it and keep it down...Count your calories and take it away from your healthy daily count of wherever it should be...This is the voice that must win for you to win....

In winning my battle I have learned to shut out the pains of life...I believe pain is a big part of this illness...Hurt from life....Eating to make it feel better....Learning to love the person inside ourselves is big....As for me, I like her...That is why I write here...Honey, you are great....Take care...

Caroline
|

replied April 18th, 2010
Hi mrsdietgirl,
how old are you? i'm 21, too had mild anorexic, and seem to be at the same stage of recovery as you. (:
how much are you eating now? and how long have your menses stopped for? i too am hoping that mine will come back sooooon. Sad

most importantly i dun want eating disorder to ruin my social life. lets support and get through it together!! (:
|

User Profile
replied May 25th, 2010
Divorcing my bulimia
Hi Mrsdietgirl, I am so impressed with your resolve to recover. Eating disorders are powerful illnesses and it takes a lot of courage to fight it. I have been suffering from anorexia and bulimia for over ten years and I am only now making the decision to fight it. I am turning 30 and it frightens me that I might well be sick into my 40s if I don't do something. This is it -- I'm taking the leap of faith, which it seems you have to.

Keep fighting. Your body will take a little while to recover but it will - they are clever things. As to how much weight you should gain, I think this is something you should refer to a professional, just to make sure you're eating disorder doesn't creep back in and convince you that you are of a healthy weight when you are not. It's hard to confide in people, I know, but it seems like you are well on your way to recovery.

I'm off to an inpatient clinic next week and I am so scared but so EXCITED to be ending this thing. Let's keep fighting together.
|

replied September 4th, 2010
I'm currently in the hospital. I've been here for almost 4 weeks my weight is 1 kg up and, the only treatment I get are medications (antidepressants, vitamins, potassium) and food. Can't wait when I can start psychotherapy treatment, I want to go back to normal, happy life. I would like to know what to expect from rehab clinic.
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....