User Profile
hi, how can i overcome this embarrassing problem. Sometimes i wish i wasn't here. From the age of 18 i have suffered an embarrassing wind problem, i cannot smell anything but other people can. It only starts when i am in a public place, wether its a queue in a supermarket, the bus, the pub or on an aeroplane. this has plagued me for the last 32 years. It did stop for 10 years but it started again about 3 years ago. i travel on a bus 3 times a week and it always happens, the more nervous i become the worst it gets. its mortifying to have people behind you laugh at your expense and this has started to affect me in a very big way. i can't talk about this problem to anyone and have tried to explain it to the doctors but they just say it is irritable bowel syndrome. i've tried endless tablets including peppermint and am taking bimuno which i've taken for the last year which has helped but after a while my body becomes immune to this too. why will no-one take me seriously.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2016
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A59434
Hello and welcome
Your concern is appreciated
Your nervous system can affect your bowl and as you said the more nervous you are the more the problem is so o think you should work on your sovial phobia and anxiety and you can take anxiolytics in consultation to your doctor of course this can be irritable bowl syndrom for whivh cause is not known but anxiety can make it worse and one class of drugs used for IBS antidepressants medication SSRIs these relieve anxiety as well as activity of neurons in intestine
Hope it helps

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Anxiety
Quick Reply
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.