Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Allergies Forum

Elevated WBC count, urticaria (hives) and type 1 diabetes

In 2010 I began breaking out in hives with constant and chronic itching. I was placed on hydroxyzine 4x per day. This prevents these symptoms.

I have never weighted more than 95 pounds, no signs of health issues until kidney stone in Feb of 2011 lodged in my ureter. 4 months later, after extreme textbook symptoms, I was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and went straight onto an insulin pump. Gained weight, ended up hovering around 120.

Everything was OK, A1c good, glucose good, as long as I took my hydroxyzine the hives and itchiness remained at bay.

2014-2015 I gained 30 pounds in one year's time period. Endocrinologist noticed high WBC count in routine CBC. Sent to hematologist and immunologist.

I have hovered around 11-13k WBC count for almost one year. I get another CBC every 3-4 months to monitor.

I have allergy symptoms fairly often, but clear mucous and all allergy testing was normal (skin test and blood) with no apparent allergies. Possible sensitivity to something; for example-pollen (aggravates my nasal pathways and causes runny nose etc.) Possibly asthmatic, but not diagnosed. I have an inhaler for strenuous exercise. Also on two nasal sprays plus another another off label antihistamine and Singulair.

All of the "scary" blood cancer and inflammation tests came back normal.

None of my doctors seem to be able to explain why my immune system is hypersensitive.

I don't know whether these are all connected or not. Anyone else in the same boat or can connect these symptoms to one disorder?

My therapist says urticaria can be a stress and anxiety response by my neurological system since we can't find any allergies. I've also read that type 1 can cause elevated WBC count since it is an autoimmune disease itself. I try not to worry, but I stay so tired all of the time. I guess no answer is a good answer, but I'm going insane in the meantime.

Other Dx: Anxiety disorder (Xanax)
insomnia (Ambien)
Cysts on ovaries (previous) (Microgestin)
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 26th, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Urticaria could be due to so many reasons. Chronic urticaria needs supportive and symptomatic treatment and there is nothing to worry about.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Allergies , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.