Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

elevated WBC count and neutrophils after infection?

User Profile
How long would someone have an elevated WBC count and neutrophils after they were infected with HIV?
my blood report after two month is wbc 17900, neutrophils 81% lymphocytes 18% is this HIV?
i have Cyst in my throat at the last one month.... plz help me, but i didnt anything to any girls or boys...

and I met the doctor he said it was an infection,which tell us what kind of infection? Is this HIV infection...

Please help me to be so scared I could not sleep at night

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied January 24th, 2012
HIV and AIDS Answer A30742
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Your WBC counts are elevated and a predominantly neutrophilic, which is a indicator, of a bacterial infection. This could be due to streptococci induced pharyngitis or related infections. This does not indicate any form of viral infection.

HIV is diagnosed based on the detection of HIV antigens and antibodies in the blood samples, and not based on ‎the ‎‎‎‎‎signs and symptoms that you may be having. ‎

One of the main problems in relying on HIV symptoms themselves is that they are notoriously vague and almost ‎all ‎‎‎‎‎the symptoms may in fact be symptoms of a different disease. ‎

PLEASE NOTE that HIV ‎is transmitted by any activity where body fluids are exchanged, such as: ‎
‎ ‎
‎1. Unprotected vaginal, anal and oral sex ‎
‎2. Inoculation of infected blood into the body - as in Intravenous drug users who share needles and syringes.‎
‎3. Poorly sterilized dental and medical equipment ‎
‎4. Unhygienic tattooing ‎and Unhygienic acupuncture ‎- where needles are reused. ‎
‎5. Poorly screened blood transfusions ‎
‎6. HIV infected mother to child transmission ‎

Remember, HIV is not transmitted by: ‎

‎1. Hugging a person, ‎
‎2. Dancing ‎
‎3. Sharing food or drinks ‎
‎4. Using a shower, bath, or bed used by an HIV person ‎
‎5. Kissing (between people with no significant dental problems) ‎
‎6. Sharing exercise equipment or ‎
‎7. Bug bites ‎

In case, you think, that you have had a risk of HIV infection, then you might consult with your doctor, who can counsel you, and accordingly you can get screened for HIV infection.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.