Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
I have done three blood tests in the last three months , every thing was normal except Rheumatoid factor
my RF was in January 65
in February it was 62
in March it was 69
My symptoms looks like [Lupus or Multiple sclerosis]
could some one with Multiple sclerosis have an elevated Rheumatoid factor ?
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 31st, 2017
welcome to e health forum.

Rheumatoid arthritis, RA is a clinical diagnosis based on patients symptoms, examination, and radiology, and may be made in the absence of positive autoantibodies.

A cyclic citrullinated peptide antibody (CCP) test may be ordered along with, or following, a Rheumatoid factor (RF) test to help diagnose Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) when a patient has joint inflammation and/or undiagnosed or undifferentiated inflammatory polyarthritis (symptoms may suggest but do not yet meet the criteria of RA).

Your RF levels are elevated (normal less than 23).

As a rule, test results on their own, outside the context of clinical symptoms and signs, cannot be assessed.

Nonetheless, if a patient is positive for both CCP and RF, it is very likely that they have RA.

If a patient is positive for CCP but not RF and clinical signs suggest RA, then it is likely that they have early RA or that they will develop RA in the future.

You should consult with your doctor who can examine you and then provide a proper advice.
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Arthritis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.