Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

elevated lipase levels ? (Page 1)

Hello, I started having abdominal pain along with increased gas and bloating a few months ago. Put me on protonix and symptoms are better, but not completely gone. Had bloodwork that showed my lipase was elevated slightly, then after repeating almost 2 months later, found that it was 80 points higher at 386. This isn't extremely elevated I'm told, but why is it continuing to elevate? I had an abdominal ultrasound and a mrcp, but both were normal. When all of my symptoms started i noticed that sugar and caffiene both seemed to make me feel very anxious all of a sudden, and they make my heart rate increase. I still cannot eat many sweets and don't do any caffiene, because the symptoms are still there.
What could cause the lipase to elevate and could the problem I'm having with sugar and caffiene be related?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper thirdiblonde
|

replied March 4th, 2009
Re lipase
Did you ever get an answer? I am going through the same thing
|

replied March 12th, 2009
Re lipsae level
Could this be attributed to an appenicitis? I have all the same symptoms including sharp pains in my lower right side.
|

replied April 3rd, 2012
Yes, it can accompany appendicitis. Was it so? Have You been operated?
|

replied May 14th, 2009
Re lipase levels
Did you ever find out what the problem was? My husband has almost exactly the same symptoms. CT scan clear, endoscopy clear (some redness of stomach)...all other bloodwork normal, lipase very slightly elevated. Ultra sound tomorrow. I would love to find out how this all turned out for you.
|
Users who thank jp04 for this post: jonfromengland 

replied August 8th, 2009
elevated lipase levels
Hi everyone who is having the same problem with slightly elevated lipase levels! I too am having the same issues. I am a nurse at a Duke facility and have talked with many MD's r/t this. I am very bad reflux disease and in fact, my last EGD showed i having Barrett's esophagus. (just metaplasia, no dysplasia) However, i am planning on having the surgery to repair hiatal hernia and prevent reflux.(Nissen fundaplication)
ANYWAY...had some bloodwork done that showed elevated lipase.(@80 points than norm i think) I never had any elevated amylase levels which usually peak prior to lipase in gallbladder attacks. This really freaked me out b/c i knew lipase was so closely r/t pancreas disorders. I don't drink alcohol (maybe 1 time every couple months)on regular basis and i was not really having any pain as in gallbladder attack, but reflux does cause alot of bloating and miserable full feeling after eating. Never any nausea/vomiting. My GI doc ordered a MRCP which came back normal. I have continued to have my blood redrawn which still shows elevated lipase levels. I am told that this can definitely be r/t GI problems and they are finding much more of this in people with reflux disease. It still freaks me out b/c i just took care of a patient yesterday that got checked out b/c her brother died of pancreatic cancer at 55. She found out she has mass on pancreas and her MRI (not MRCP) ws negative and did not show this small mass.She was having some GI symptoms such as n/v b/c the mass was beginning to obstruct the duct from the pancreas.
Just continue to follow up and keep close watch on everything.it is a rather unnerving feeling to have this!
The surgeon will more than likely remove my GB when we do other surgery..he will be able to take a closer look than US especially since GB appears normal. OH well

Take Care everyone!
|

User Profile
replied August 13th, 2009
Elevation in Lipase is at times associated with pancreatitis or gallstones. The pancrease is a gland that secreates insulin in response to glucose circulation in the blood. Sugar and Caffiene stimulate the pancrease to secreate insuin but I dont think this is a cause for pancreatitis. Alcohol consumption can cause it. How are your liver enzymes? The fact that Protonix helped the symptoms leads to a gastroesophageal reflux being the problem.
|

replied December 17th, 2009
jpo4, my symptoms are very similar. did you ever find a solution?
|

replied December 17th, 2009
Pancreatic issues - abdominal pain
jp04 here and no, still nothing. Since I last posted my husband had an internal ultrasound which I was very excited about because they would actually be looking at the pancrease....and, nothing, totally normal pancreas. He still suffers and continues to take Ultrase to manage his pain and it does help. He is on a new med. as of today that is supposed to help w/ a syndrome referred to as C.R.A.P. (Chronic Recurring Abdominal Pain). Basically, when you cont. to have problems like this but they cannot diagnose you - you have CRAP. The new med. is a treatment for a spastic colon. The dr. thinks this might help with the pain and heavyness he feels after eating. I will keep you posted on how that goes. They also took bloodwork again so I'll post those results as well. Thanks.
|

replied May 11th, 2011
Abdominal pain
FYI I started out with abdominal pain that could not be explained and pretty much ignored by doctors until i ended up in the hopsital with acute pacreatitis and was in the hospital for 3 months and almosted died because of how bad it was and now have chronic pancreatitis and liver chirrosis caused by the pancreatitis so please please continue to persist with your inquiries to doctors so that you don't end up the way I did. I am permanetly scarred and damaged for the rest of my life because i believed the doctors when they said there was nothing to worry about.
|

replied December 21st, 2009
lipase levels
Jpo4 what medication did they put your husband on and have you looked into gastroparesis? My daughter has gastroparesis and has CRAP all the time along with an occational elevated lipase level. Can anyone tell me what is a normal level and what is a dangerous level?
|

replied February 14th, 2010
Well I don't know exactly what is considered dangerous or not but I have had pancreatitis a couple times. My lipase the first time was over 2500 and I was admitted to the hospital. The second time it was over 7000, they just gave me pain killers and sent me home. That makes me think a certain level is not considered dangerous, it is when it is combined with other symptoms that can be dangerous, like shock.
|

replied July 19th, 2011
elevated pancreas enzymes, no pain. Why catscan?
my mother went for regular blood test. Has acid reflux and was put on 40mg of omeprazole. She's also on lipitor, 20 mg. Takes a lot of herbs but not at same time as meds. (Life Extension) She took 2 glutamine tabs that morning (forgot to take nothing). Tests came back with amylase 156 and lipase 66. Liver normal. Doc said nothing to worry about, would retake blood test. Mom has no stomach pains or pancreatitus symptoms, does not drink, has no gallbladder, liver is fine! Pelvic sonogram took a month ago was fine! She is 85 years old. So why does the doc want her to take a catscan? any1 know? My siblings say doc might be good but trying' to milk the insurance company for all he can get. What do you think?
|

replied July 23rd, 2012
Catscan will confirm any deformities or abnormalities in the pancreas (and other organs) that may not be apparent by bloodwork. Elevated amylase may suggest pancreatitus, although the lipase level looks great, lipase may take longer to parallel the amylase level. That said, the CT scan will allow the doc to determine if this is chronic pancreatitis, for example. I had to BEG my doctor for a CT scan, so I would take the doc's advice in this instance. Many doctors are hesitant to do a CT because there is a level of radiation exposure during the procedure.
|

replied August 17th, 2011
SHILOHDREAM

Hello,
I had my CT Scan today only because a CT Scan can show more on the pancreas than what an ultrasound can show. Well that is the reason that I had to go for one, as I am in so much pain I cannot eat. Am feeling like a pin cushion believe me.
I am sure that it is all just to make sure with your mother is fine.
All the best
aussievic
|

replied September 13th, 2011
abdomenal problems
I have had the exact same symptoms. ekg's and echo's because of the anxiousness and elevated b/p. Finally had and ultrasound that showed stones and sludge in gallbladder. Had the gall bladder removed 5 weeks ago and still having pain bloating elevated lipase and heartburn. Have since had ct, hida scan and mri with contrast. all showing nothing. I am so frustrated right now. surgeon says he thinks it was pancreatitus but no real dx of that.
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
Almost exact same thing is happening to me. I had all the tests and scans then finally said sludge and stones in gallbladder, but I was too sick and lipase was too high to remove, levels stayed high and took the risk and I had gallbladder removed, and am still sick with high lipase levels, can't eat, in pain, don't know what to do....
|

replied October 22nd, 2011
Hi Im 26 years old and I have read all your emails just wondering if you could help me. I have had intermittent abdo pain on the right radiating to my back for about 3 weeks gradually getting worse. I have had a loss of appetite bur with no other real symptoms part from this pain. I was admitted to hospital with ? Kidney stones I have had an USS which was normal, CT scan which also came back normal, I was discharged with advice that it was muscle pain. I was in extreme pain again so went back and they checked my amylase which was raised at 378 normal lipase and slightly deranged LFTs. Does any one have any ideas it's going into the 4 th week now.
|

replied February 11th, 2012
Having the same problems
I have been having chest,back, arm, shoulder pain and went to the hospital and was told everything looked fine but my lipase level was elevated at 82...I also been having the same problems with caffine and at times I get really lightheaded....as of right now Dr's havent found anything...and they put me on ultram...I have been feeling like this for a good while now and its only getting worse
|

replied February 21st, 2012
Levaquin
I have the same simptoms after Levaquin antibiotic,
that is same like Cipro, Avalox ect.
|

replied March 2nd, 2012
lipase levels
See a gastroenterologist! My lipase levels were elevated at around 433 after incorrectly receiving antibiotics for what turned out to be a viral infection. Due to the elevated levels I was experiencing extreme pain in my upper left back where the pancrease resides.
After about a month off of the antibiotics my levels are returning to normal but I still have gastritis because of the meds which will take 8-12 months to heal. My gastro dr told me lipase levels well over 1000 are actual pancreatitis and require hospitalization but tracked my lipase levels until they were in the normal range again.
My gastristis (stomach lining inflamation) was diagnosed with a EGD (upper endoscopy) and I am now on dexilant 60mg once a day and a low fat diet without milk products until it is healed (cross fingers 8-12 weeks)
In some of my research I found the following useful. Upper left back pain may be the pancreas. Upper right back pain is the gall bladder. The pancreas and the gallbladder share some of the same billary ducts and gallstones can cause blockage. It sounds like the common factor is elevated lipase for many of you but the underlying cause could be several things that may take a few visits to the same doctor and your own research to find an answer. Hope some of this helped. Good Luck!
|

replied March 14th, 2012
Has anyone found out anything new?? I have had gas, bloating, anxiety and abdominal pain for over a year now. Slightly elevated lipase, one doctor says I have pancreatitis and the next says I dont. Still no answers.
|

replied March 23rd, 2012
@ErinSYD84
I have had the same symptoms, with increasing severity, for several months. I am a very skinny healthy 30 y.o. female. No matter what I eat I bloat and look pregnant. I have attacks that last from 40 mins to several hours with extreme abdominal pain in the right upper quadrant that radiates into my right shoulder and back. I have a slightly elevated lipase level (90 with norms from 5.1 - 51.3) and just had a normal ultrasound. What lead your doctor's to pancreatitis? I am trying to decide if further testing is going to be helpful or just continue to lead me down the "I'm not quite sure" path my doctor is currently on.
|

replied March 23rd, 2012
I went to the doctor back in feb 2011, i had lower left abdominal. he asked whether i had consumed any alcohol. i had and he ran blood test and my lipase were slightly elevated sitting at 80. I have not consumed any alcohol since then and still have symptoms. Amalayse have never elevated. lipase have gone up and down over the year. Have had ultrasound and ct scan. both normal. i am booked in to see a professor of gastro problems in April hopefully finds something. Every gp i have been says to just stick to low fat diet. dosent help. also i find my digestive pain gets worse before my period.
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...