User Profile
I recently had eleveated LFTs(109 ALT, 60 AST)and repeated 3 weeks later 105 ALT, 58 AST. Hep panel w/reflex norm, all other lab work normal. I am overweight but not obese (30% body fat approx), and am otherwise healthy, my do ordered an abdominal ultrasound. I have hx of chronic diahreea for 4 yrs. Gastro did full, to include all possible lab tests and EGD etc, work up on me 2 yrs ago and found nothing.

What could this be? Any possibility the two could be related? If so what do you think?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 28th, 2009
Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C Answer A7663
Hello and welcome to eHealth Forum!

Many a times AST and ALT (both are collectively called transaminases) rise ((109 ALT, 60 AST)and repeated 3 weeks later 105 ALT, 58 AST) without any cause. Because AST is found in many other organs besides the liver, including the kidneys, the muscles, and the heart, having a high level of AST does not always (but often does) indicate that there is a liver problem. For example, even vigorous exercise may elevate AST levels in the body. However to reach at that conclusion the medical causes of these raised transaminases have to be ruled out.

Causes of liver transaminase elevations include viral hepatitis, alcohol use, medication use, steatosis or steatohepatitis, and cirrhosis. Steatosis and cirrhosis are ruled out by the ultrasound. Other common health conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, pancreatitis, hemolytic anemia and thyroid disease, can also cause liver transaminase elevations.

Most liver diseases are characterized by greater ALT elevations than AST elevations except cirrohsis and alcohol abuse. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss these possibilities with your doctor once. Hope this helps. Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Hepatitis can lead to serious liver damage. We cover basics about liver anatomy and define hepatitis here. Plus info on the different types of hepatitis....
What are the major causes of Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C? Start here to learn what puts you at risk so that you can avoid the serious liver disease...
A list of the symptoms of each type of Hepatitis here. Plus, when you should seek medical attention for Hep signs and symptoms....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Liver Disorders, Hepatitis A,B,C , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.