User Profile
My eight y/o son had a ruptured appendix. Laparoscopy was performed and an open abcess occurred at the umbilical site. He also had an abcess in the colon area and a drain was inserted. After 20 days inpt. he is home. The wound in the umbilical region is healing nicely, however, he is defecating on himself and says he cannot tell he is doing it. Is this common? I tell him not to be embarrassed and it is going to take time to heal. He is eating and drinking well, no fever and does not require pain meds when I do his wicking and dressing changes. He was on Gent, Clinda, Fortaz IV and on oral Bactrim which he finishes tomorrow. Every appendicitis is different, very baffling, and I am a retired medic. Interesting. I await your reply. Thank you, J:)

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 21st, 2010
Appendix and Appendicitis Answer A16225
Hi, Welcome to the forum and I am really glad to help you out.

Fecal incontinence is not a known complication of appendicitis or appendix surgery. What your son is going through is likely antibiotic associated diarrhea which is making him defecate frequently and without his knowledge.

In such a scenario, taking capsules of pre/probiotic (lactobacillus acidophilus) do help a lot. Increasing the intake of curd/yoghurt 3-4 times a day can also help in the improvement of the symptoms.

However, if the symptoms don’t improve in a week’s time, then a surgeon needs to be consulted for the same. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
How do you know if abdominal pain is caused by appendicitis or not? First know where to locate the appendix in your body. Learn more here....
Classic symptoms of appendicitis include pain in the center of the abdomen that moves down and to the right. Learn more about signs and symptoms of appendix pr...
Understand how to diagnose appendicitis and abdominal pain correctly. Appendicitis may be the cause of your discomfort but symptoms vary. Learn more now. ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Appendix and Appendicitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.