Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Efudex not working??

Must Read
What is melanoma? This section give you a quick intro to this particular type of skin cancer, including the entire range of types of melanomas....
Doctors are pretty certain that ultraviolet radiation plays a role in the development of melanoma. Which other activities put you at risk of melanoma?...
What does melanoma look like? Learn to identify early signs and symptoms of melanoma with this full description of symptoms of melanoma here....
i started on efudex (all over face) 7 days ago. still no reaction. i just had four mohrs surgeries on face to remove basal cell, squamous, and pre-cancers. Dr suggested i do this efudex to remove all pre-cancer.

If i see no reaction, does that mean i have no more pre-cancer on face or its not working. I called Dr's office. Nurse said keep using it for the two weeks as Dr ordered. Anyone have any idea what it means? i'm hoping he removed all precancer and i can just be more cautious in future and stay under hats and sunscreen. thanks sunsetgal
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper boldseer
|

replied November 18th, 2008
Experienced User
Efudex
Efudex works and it works real good if you use it right. Put it on two times a day for two to four weeks for best results. In the first week or so you will see nothing sometimes. But it does work.
|

replied November 19th, 2008
efudex not working??
ok it's been 7 days today and still nothing??? if it does work, does this mean i don't have as much precancer as Dr thought?? or next week will i flare up??
|

replied November 19th, 2008
Experienced User
Efudex pictures
Go to www.sannerud.com/people/efudex/ There you will see day by day pictures of efudes. They will tell it all. Jack
|

replied February 15th, 2009
effects of efudex
Since I started treatment, I have lost a lot of hair. Has anyone else experienced this? I believe it is due to the fact that the chemical inhibits the absorption of Folic acid, and that the dosage is too high for me when I spread the cream on areas that are not cancerous. My eyesight is weaker, too. Any opinions?
|

replied February 15th, 2009
Experienced User
Efudex
I was told Efudex is a form of Chemo. Check this out. I know it works very well.
|

User Profile
replied February 6th, 2010
efudex
I had nothing much happen for the first 10 days, but by day 14 my whole face went bright red and by day 18 it was swollen and crusty and weeping and WORKING the way it's supposed to> puting it on is painful and I look horrible but I dont want to have surgery again so I vave another wee to go>>>grin and bear it!!!
|

replied June 17th, 2018
No reaction to Efudix by day 7 - should I continue?
Dear Beckie,

I have been diagnosed with a minimal amount of actinic keratosis on my nose and perhaps one or two spots on my cheeks.

I am using Efudix twice daily and this is the morning of day 7 and I see nothing at all. My skin feels a wee bit tight and sometimes burns a bit but I can imagine that is just the cream.

I grew up in South Africa, always in the sun and using sunflower oil and no tanning cream (the browner the better). I am covered in sun spots and freckles.

You say nothing much happened the first 10 days but does that mean a minimal reaction? I am asking as I am beginning to wonder whether this is a mistake and the GP got it wrong. Obviously I do not want to continue using this potent cream for nothing!

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Jessie2018
|

replied February 7th, 2010
Experienced User
Nursebeckie,
What you are doing is real good for you. It fights cancer and makes you look much younger. Keep it up but do not over do it. Some users react faster than others. After you are finish take care of you skin. Less SUN and use blocker when in the sun. I use blocker everyday but I started too late. I see a dermatologist every three months because of too much sun and no blocker. Jack
|

replied February 13th, 2010
efudex not working?
Sunsetgal,
Did the efudex ever start working?
Cindy
|

replied April 21st, 2010
Today is Day 10 of treatment on my face, neck and chest, and like sunsetgal, I'm not seeing much ... I have a few spots, but nothing to write home about. I keep looking at pictures trying to figure out when things are going to happen for me ... I apply Efudex twice daily, and will see my dermatologist on Monday ... I'm wondering what he bases his decision on as far as is two weeks applying Efudex enough OR will I have to do it for 4 wks total ... is there a "norm"? Thanks so much!
|

replied April 22nd, 2010
Experienced User
How bad was your skin before you started Efudes? I wondering if you need to use this in the first place. I had alot of bad pre cancers that needed some type of care, so it was good you me. Jack
|

replied September 18th, 2010
I am two weeks into my four week treatment, for my full face and the back of my hands and it is one of the toughest things I have endured.
|

replied October 22nd, 2010
efudex treatment
mawsonks

Just started with my treatment, was wondering how you were doing, I'am also doing my whole face and the backs of my hands, not looking forward to the weeks ahead,but, am anxious for the outcome.
mema
|

replied October 23rd, 2010
Experienced User
I will be starting it tonight for two week at two time a day on my chest. One side at a time. I did it before and I know it works real good.
|

replied January 31st, 2011
Effudex week 4
4 weeks and I have some red spots and dark red spots wharound my temples. Apply 2x on head and top of forehead, some itching not bad though! Seems to itch more when I sweat
|

replied August 3rd, 2013
Efudex
I have been on this now for three weeks, using it mainly around my left and right temple. Now it is crusting and bleeding lightly like a graze. Using it twice a day. One week to go. It stings a bit when I put it on. The Doctor advised to rub off the crust as this will allow the cream to penetrate more easily.

The first two weeks my skin was only just starting to turn red. The speed it takes to show the visible effects does vary from person to person.
|

replied September 13th, 2014
Efedux....when it starts to shop on your skin
I am on my 6th day and nothing has happened yet...waiting waiting.I can't remember when I did my forehead last winter how long it took.I also had Moh's surgery to remove a basal skin cancer.
|

replied June 1st, 2016
My first post/response and plea for advice, if I did this wrong, forgive me and tell me how to do it. In the last three months I've had a squamous cell cancer on my leg and melanoma on my arm. I also had to have a precancerous growth removed from each eye that were suspect and growing exponentially. I have also had basil cell in the past. There were obvious places on my nose that needed attention. My doctor suggested affixed for all of the obvious reasons. She told me that I would have strong response, not just my nose but the face area below your cheekbones. I started 12 days ago. I had limited response, a ruddiness/red/brown, until about day 10. Then the places on my nose bloomed and my lips were covered in blisters. Then the area encircling the folds by my nose to my chin, looked burnt. That part of my face became very uncomfortable. Day 12 I have spots showing between my nose and mouth, my forehead and the area below my cheeks. Two days from now is my last application. But it seems that I was slow and if I stop now, the spots that are just starting won't finish (what do I know). I called my Dr. today. I was told to stop at two weeks. She would see me in July (6 weeks), and she would decide if it was okay or if I needed to do it again. I don't want to start over. Wouldn't it be better to continue at least to the 3 weeks before I stop. I don't understand why she didn't see me now and make that judgement. From the blister lip, 1/2 burnt face, still responding, blue eyed Irish girl.
|