Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Effects of eating disorders on models

0703760I Pei Yun

Hi all, I have a topic about the effects of eating disorders on models. Recently, there are more and more models suffering from this and that some even passed on as a result of not seeking treatment.
Do you think the fashion designers are responsible for determining the perfect model and all these happenings about models losing their lives?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 8th, 2009
I have a very personal response to this
I am 17 years old and an aspiring model. I am around 5'7 and I weigh 102. I work out 6 days a week for around 2 hours each day. I have what every girl calls, "the perfect body". I eat fairly normally, but lately, the pressure I feel is making me eat less and less. Designers have no complaints about my body, but I also feel that I cannot gain any weight. If I see any "fat" building on my stomach I freak out and I won't eat. Sometimes I wish I never had this body because I wouldn't have to worry about being anything less if it wasn't so "perfect". So yes, I think designers and society contribute greatly to models and eating disorders.
|

replied February 11th, 2009
Experienced User
Do you talk about the ED problems among yourself in model society?
|

User Profile
replied February 11th, 2009
I'm 18 years old and also a model. I'm 5'5 and weigh 128 pounds. (I got pregnant and gained a whole bunch of weight) Last summer I was 110 pounds and I looked perfect, because I was starving myself. I've been doing this on and off my entire life. I can't seem to lose this extra weight and it's so hard for me to get up and work out, even though I DO do it. I can't get back into my old eating habits either.

There is TONS of pressure out there for girls to be thin, especially models. I've had one photographer refuse to work with me because I was too fat for their taste.
|

replied March 14th, 2009
I was todl that i was too skinny to model. My aunt had alot of connections with fashion designers and she sent some agencies my picture. They otld me i was TOO skinny. That was weird for me because ihave had an eating disorder for 3 years. I am 5'9" and currentally 120 pounds. In the picture that was sent in i was the same height but 100 pounds. I think agencies are trying to stop the spreading of eating disorders by making sure the models have a certain BMI.
|

replied June 9th, 2009
No, designers are responsible for setting the standard size. (this standard size is needed so all models in runway/editorials are the same size means that there clothing can be shown in these different mediums without the complication of finding a specific model for the each dress)At the moment (whether it is right or wrong) that size is 34-24-34 bust waist and hips, with an average height of 5ft9.
I wouldnt go as far as saying the designers are responsible for ED's in models because you need to look at why that size is the chosen one. In my opinion its because the media perpetuates the idea that thinness equates to beauty, and society has adopted this idea. For example in say a disney movie the princess is always thin(ariel) and the bady isnt(ursula). The weight gain/lose pictures in celebrity magasines. Therefore if a designer brand wants to sell clothes, they want to appear as beautiful as possible, if thin is what appeals to society then why wouldnt they pick thin models.
That being said models arent treated well when it comes to body image. If a casting director thinks a girl doesnt fit the criteria (for example not thin enough) and a thinner girl is available then the first will be disposed off. This cant be easy psychologically for anyone, let alone someone who depends on their appearance for income.
I think the industry as a whole will never change as it is built on people being sold things they dont need in order to obtain a standard of beauty that is unattainable. So the only productive way of reducing eating disorders in models is to provide better help. There should be better help for models not only about healthy eating/exercise but also counseling so they can keep some what of a healthy perspective in a very jaded industry. A union for models would help kick start this and improve models conditions, not only for health but also covering issues of pay, safety and sexual harassment.
I think the suggestion of BMI is absurd, because i doubt the people chosen as models had a normal BMI even when they were eating healthily, because for many tall and relatively thin is in there genes.
but thats just my opinion.....
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....