Medical Questions > Parenting > Kids Health and Pediatrics Forum

effective and safest way for phimosis treatment?

User Profile
My 2 years old boy has phimosis. Doctor recommended to use Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream (Augmented), 0.05%. I found out about horrible side effects from this medication. It is even is not recommended for children under 12 years old. What is your opinion is the most effective and safest way for phimosis treatment?

Thanks Merilin

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 24th, 2012
Kids Health and Pediatrics Answer A33153
Welcome to ehealth forum.

The treatment provided by your doctor is correct, and is recommended as per clinical guidelines for management of phimosis in boys. This is a safe medication and you need not doubt the safety or efficacy of the treatment.

Betamethasone is a potent topical corticosteroid which works by being absorbed into the skin cells and stopping these cells from producing chemicals which cause inflammation. This reduces the symptoms of swelling, itching and redness that are associated with inflammatory skin conditions.

A low dose betamethasone cream (0.05%) is effective in treating phimosis in boys (80-90%), and often averts the need for circumcision at a later date.
The cream should be applied to the exterior and interior of the tip of the foreskin 2-3 times daily. In case the foreskin has not become retractile after 3 months, the treatment can be discontinued.

I hope this clears your doubts.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Kids Health and Pediatrics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.