Who: I am a healthy 32 Caucasian female. Work out 5-7 times a week, participate in softball and soccer teams as well as running and other cardio workouts. I eat healthy typically low fat chicken mostly as meat but red meat as well. Love fruits and veggies. Do have a weakness for sweets. Sodium intake is normal (typically do not add any salt to any food)(and with lots of cardio and sweating probably low considering). I drink lots of water. Some coffee but mostly tea.

What: Monday (after a weekend of typical activity levels) experience swelling in my knees calves and feet. No pitting edema, no redness, pulse was detected. Wednesday went to the doctor was prescribed Lasix (as needed - have only taken 3 times total) to decrease water/edema. Bloodwork, urine and DVT screen all came up normal (blood sugar was a little low). I did recently go off Yaz Birth Control Pills. I currently take Wellbutrin (have for a number of years).

When: Initial swelling was felt on a Monday. NOW, I have the feeling of tightness in my calf and just below my knee area often. I do NOT wake up with this typically. I can feel the tightness usually in the afternoon and the puffyness is evident under my knees.

My doctor is now wanting to send me to orthopedic Dr. for compartment syndrome testing. What else could this be?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 2nd, 2010
Community Volunteer
When you say you had a DVT screen done and it was negative, what did they do to screen you for it? DVTs are VERY difficult to diagnose, especially DVTs in the lower leg/calf. DVTs are usually diagnosed via ultrasound, where they can actually see the clot in the vein. If that is what they did, disregard.

I highly doubt you have compartment syndrome, as it is almost always brought on by a broken bone, venomous bite (such as from a snake or spider), burn, or a crushing injury, with or without broken bones (think muscle/tendon/ligament damage).

To be on the safe side, if you have not gotten an ultrasound done to confirm a DVT, ask for one. Risk factors for DVT include smoking and contraceptives (birth control), impaired mobility (wheelchair-bound, extended hospital stay, terminal patients, things on that line) and long trips (8hours+) on airplanes.

Most common symptoms of DVT are: Swelling, tightness, redness and pain in the affected limb.

If you feel that your doctor has diagnosed you improperly, don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion.

I am not a doctor, I am a lab rat in our local hospital. I don't know much about medical conditions themselves, but I know enough about compartment syndrome and DVT, as these are commonly seen in trauma centers. Working with doctors, you learn a lot. Since I, myself am not a doctor, I can only advise you of symptoms and tell you to ask for a second opinion. Best of luck to you! Smile
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Users who thank motherofhighspiritedones for this post: zioncooper 
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....